Gauges dead while riding, now won't start

Thanks @ozrider for the pics, I’ll attempt opening up that today for a visual. Hopefully it is that and fixable! That would explain the weird intermittent style of the fault, is the CANBUS chip just in the speedo panel only? And would that also affect the other gauge? Or is there on in both gauges?

Is that a tide mark one sees across the board? :unsure: If so 'kin'ell.

I think (after I blew up my FuelBot and subsequent analysis with David) - Part of the problem is :

When do we wash the bike? - Nice day, right!. In the sun - nice and warm then on goes the water.

This reduces the internal pressure - creates a vacuum and pulls the water in. But it never gets out again, because the seal works fine with pressure - just not vacuum. What killed the fuel bot was similar - I'd ridden all day in the sun - was parked at the ferry terminal and an almighty thunderstorm crashed down for 3 hours. I drilled a small hole to get water out - But it was already toast.

Surprised that VDO has allowed that though. :coffee:

Yes the high tide mark lined up with the handle bars on full left lock............. was in interesting project sorting that bike out as a jet ski mechanic had a go at it first and hot wired relays to get the fuel pump to run and all sorts of things!!!!:eek:

Seems to me - a simple bit of prevention would be to drill a small (1.5mm ish - 1/16") drain hole somewhere covered by the outer shells and cover it with a goretex patch.
This will stop the vacuum "suck in" issue for ever and will ensure it stays dry in there.

312nCbd

Went to the bike this morning and it fired up straight away, took the speedo apart anyway to look and it’s all in perfect condition inside there (tried to post a photo but it won’t let me from my phone) ....is it worth taking the Rev gauge apart too? Any other ideas? Intermittent faults are the worst!

Did you check for 12v on the purple wire in either speedo/tacho yet? (when clocks are dead)

Also do you have TuneECU (you might have a fault code like 'P1690 CAN Fault' logged)

Did you check for 12v on the purple wire in either speedo/tacho yet? (when clocks are dead)

Also do you have TuneECU (you might have a fault code like 'P1690 CAN Fault' logged)

Okay it’s been awhile, I now have the bike in a friends workshop so I am able to open it up properly. It’s totally dead at the moment and won’t start, it doesn’t turn the game is on or prime the fuel pump anymore. Couple of the code reader in and have the fault P 1690. I searched through Google posts and found another fault similar on these forums where the purple wire was perished, I traced it back from the gauges and found that it was probably broken, I say probably because when I under the tape It fell apart. I remade the joints but the fault still exists. I haven’t checked the voltage feed to the gauges through the purple wire I only checked continuity because I wasn’t sure what that wire was. Tomorrow when I’m there again I will check it has 12 vaults.

Manuals and electrical diagrams are still in my signature if you need them.

Ok good, you're on the right track.
You have to clear the fault code or it'll stay there for a while even after it's fixed.

Wiring diagram a little misleading re layout.. the purple wire comes from fuse #3 in the fuse box, splits into 4 purple wires then a few inches from the fuse box;
  • one to the accessory 12V socket (under left side rear engine infill panel)
  • one to the heated grips socket (under tank near front)
  • one the accessory clock (also under tank)
  • one that splits into 2 up around the headstock, to power each the speedo and the tacho
You should have 12v at all of these.

Where was your purple wire broken btw?

Back