LED taillight project. Can the taillight be opened?

HI Jamie not sure if this is any help to you now as maybe you've already cut the tailight? but I replaced my tail light some time ago with a combined LED brake tailight, it fitted straight in and was brighter than the filament type bulb by a whole heap. Got it from a local shop that stocked only LED lights was a little expensive but certainly worth it. Only reason I did it was LEDs are supposedly more reliable and I really like the taillight and brake light to work especially at night when clowns can run into you.

Going to fit one to my old 79 Bonneville next, that will be the true test of its ability to withstand vibration....

I have already cut it. But thanks for the info anyway. I first used LED replacements on snowmobiles over 10 years ago. I cannibalized them off of new trailer LED sealed unit lights. You'll have no problem with vibration.

I took my Dodge Ram headlights apart one time in order to remove the yellow reflector on the inside. Stuck the entire headlight assembly inside my oven for about 20 minutes at 180 degrees. This softened the glue and therefore opened the headlight up like a clam shell. Removed the yellow reflectors to reveal more chrome. Heated them up again and closed the headlight back up. This was many moons ago. When I started reading this thread it brought back memories....... might work with the R3 tail light. ??

You can now just buy the aftermarket headlights for my Dodge Ram with clear reflectors..... lol

I actually found a tower LED on Superbrightleds that has a pretty low lumen rating for tail light use - which, frankly, is what I prefer, because I don't want it annoyingly bright for cars behind me, or for anyone to confuse the tail light with brake light. They are specified as 400 lumens in brake light mode, which is pretty decent. Combined with the LED dynamic clusters from Custom Dynamics I put in my indicators, and then a Supabrake3 brake modulator... people see me brakin'.

1157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Function 26 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Retrofit | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Light Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

No fitment issues in an R3 Touring tail light anyway, they can be fit normally from without. I'm sure there are brighter ones out there, but not sure I want mine that bright, not for just tail light. There is such a thing as too much.

I think you are simply referencing one of those 'old-school' discrete LED arrays vs another of similar design with fewer number of same LEDs
So yes, more of the same - which means physically bigger of course - means more light out than a comparable smaller one.

However today's technology has high power 'chip' LEDs that put out HUGE light compared to those devices, which are pretty much archaic these days.

I agree with the GURU!
Have used two different types of these replacement LED bulbs and neither was much better than the OEM.
Ken, do you know of a true LED that will fit the Roadster fender?

See this video for a good comparison - cage, but good enough for comparing :D
Regarding above ignore the 'plasma' reference - just a BS marketing buzz word.
Here are couple of examples on Ebay of these type of bulbs - you can probably find similar in OZ Tony, or even directly from China
(disclaimer - no personal experience of these exact ones)
2X CREE 100W Super Pure Red 1157 7528 BAY15D Brake Tail Stop LED Lights Bulb | eBay

Me thinks this is the one shown in the video:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/1157-PLA...8976&wl11=online&wl12=274755547&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OGXID7E?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd

What I did my rear light with. Running light output was slightly brighter than stock, brake light was B R I G H T

The lights on the side give it a very diffuse pattern with a very strong center because of the end mounted LEDs. Impossible to miss it when applying brakes. It does require opening the housing, the light end diameter is bigger than the hole.

@1olbull Its still fitted if you want it, I have no use cause I’m never putting the stock fender back on:D

Last edited:

A WHITE LED is NOT the same as a broad-spectrum incandescent 'white' light - behind a Red Filter Lens, you should really use a RED LED, otherwise it will be cutting off significant amount of light.
The Red Filter (because that's what it is - it only lets red light wavelength through) is going to transmit majority of the generated light from a narrow spectrum red LED compared to the loss from an incandescent but even more loss from a white LED (albeit the LED probably generates much more lumens to begin with)
The general 'rule' is always use same colour LED as the LENs filter is going behind.
i.e. Yellow LEDs for Turns and RED LEDs for tail/stop
Of course with a coloured LED you can also use a clear lens.

Last edited:
Back