LED taillight project. Can the taillight be opened?

I had one of these on my bike for a while, it is quite bright and does get attention.

Quad Horizontal Motorcycle Plate Frames with Flushmount LEDs & LED Plate Illumination

They will still rear end you even if you had a million candle power rear light as they have to be looking where they are going to spot you! My mate was rear ended on his ZZR1400 just before Christmas in daylight while he was travelling at 40 mph in moving traffic. He was shunted forward just missing the cars in front. £3000 worth of damage but he survived somehow.
I don't know if it's worth the extra expense and work to put on brighter rear lights.

@Ishrub
Would almost cover the OEM hole, but the topside license plate light would need work.

I bought two different sets of this type.
Both fit inside the OEM lens just fine.
Both suck as they are not visibly better than the OEM 1157.
Just got a new rear Exedra Max on way home from Leakey Texas.
When that wears out, I shall get serious in determining the actual light values for the various bulbs.

FYI - these are what I have:

I'm responding as an update to this previous post of mine. Now that I have had my rear end apart, I tested and noted that the top LED pictured in this post was much brighter than the bottom LED.
I feel it is equal to or better than the OEM incandescent.

Well I guess the proof will have to be in the pudding.

I should have the bulb by the end of the day. I'm going to do an honest comparison of the two if it's significantly brighter than stock then in it goes.

The reason I picked this one is because it is the highest rated bulb I could find. Some of the other smaller chip style bulbs like you suggest reviews stated we're not that impressive or not much brighter in stock.

I searched around here quite a bit looking for somebody who has done an LED taillight. And other than replacing the entire taillight I found nothing. I want to keep stock tail light as I like how it looks.

If you were anybody else has used one of the small bulbs with any degree of success please share what it is and where you got it.
I bought some LED bulbs that are for signals and tail brake lite, so far i put them in the signals and they are so bright that i have to double smoke my lenses which are already the smoked ones. I got them from LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories | superbrightleds.com

Back