LED taillight project. Can the taillight be opened?

JamiePT

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket Roadster 2014
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
Is it possible to open up a R3 taillight?

Long story short. I have ordered a brighter taillight bulb fit my rocket.
It arrives tomorrow and I just realized when taking the taillight apart that the bulb probably won't fit in there.

The bulb is 2 inches in diameter.

Custom Dynamics LED 1157 Oversized Bulb

I was thinking I might take apart the tail light assembly in order to put that over size bulb in there and then assemble the whole thing back together.

Is there a way to take apart the rear taillight assembly? I know these pieces of silver and red plastic were not born together. Are they glued? Is there a way they can be poped apart?

I don't know about the R3 light specifically but with Car lights I have taken these apart - two methods, either a heat gun (not set TOO hot!!!) - or a really high power hair drier - or dropping into almost boiling water
(you can also use an oven but again, must be careful not to set it too hot!!!)
I prefer the control of the heat gun

However I would not go that length - I would abandon that frankly really dated by todays standards Custom Dynamics LED array and look into some of the modern LED modules that will fit without modification AND give you much more light than that one!!

Ok I recently did this. It can be done but it's not for the feighnt of heart!

The three screws only hold the reflector in place. To open it, you have to use some force on the red lens piece where the tabs are to free them. If you look at the red piece around the edges you will see where the tabs are.

There is a HIGH risk of breaking it, and it's expensive to replace, be careful!

Ok I recently did this. It can be done but it's not for the feighnt of heart!

The three screws only hold the reflector in place. To open it, you have to use some force on the red lens piece where the tabs are to free them. If you look at the red piece around the edges you will see where the tabs are.

There is a HIGH risk of breaking it, and it's expensive to replace, be careful!
I when I had the bike Humm!! used a dremmel tool cut the plastic half way up all around installed a led + several red led connected to the brake line epoxied the two pieces back together held quite ok

50994177952__E893E9E6-B567-4270-9FA6-01F7B486E830.JPG

Thanks for the help. I just popped it off.
I took my time and worked it slowly with a thin screwdriver.

I figure tomorrow when the bulb gets here I can install it with the taillight open and glue it shut. With as long as LED bulbs last I won't mind having to pry it open ever 5 to 10 years.

I also installed a 6 inch LED taillight/brake light strip below the license plate. I'll get some butt end connectors and wire them in tomorrow.

Back