LED taillight project. Can the taillight be opened?

don't know what you are referring to, I can click on it and it goes directly to the site!

Not here - it goes to the site of a general light store.

Last edited:
This is what I 'm getting:
LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories | superbrightleds.com

This is what I 'm getting:
LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories | superbrightleds.com
I've received two orders of LED's already from super brights; You can scroll through the list of bulbs and lights that apply to your needs, the site can't read your mind and show a specific product,
you need to search out what you want!

Not here - it goes to the site of a general light store. This is what I 'm getting:
Try this ol'chap. 1157, 1157 (BAY15D), … LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Light Bulbs | Page 2 | Super Bright LEDs:

I have tried variants like most of those - You need RED ones and I'll put money on the lumens values quoted being raw and for white emitters ONLY. Most white emmiters have a VERY low red component - ie white ones may even shine LESS bright.

EEC docs state 1W led as being approximated to "tail light" replacement and 3W being "Brake Light" replacement. A mass of legal after market replacements follow the values.
ime woefully inadequate unless it is a VERY small lens area and using very directional LED projection. Neither applicable to the R3 if you use a plug&play "bulb".
I run a LED bulb but more as a "less likely to blow one day when on a long trip, at night and in the rain" thing than more light (for now!).

I think the principal problems lie with the OEM lens and reflector. Both are heavily faceted. Much of it is (imo) to redress the "form over function" aesthetics.
Ideally I would like the LEDS facing rearward - but this maybe beyond phase1 of the conversion tests - it's a heat management thing.

I have seen no tail/brake lights that are near as bright as those that you turned me on to and that I put on my bike a while back.
The only others I have seen that I believe are acceptable are the Bright-Ass lights made for Harley-Davidson.

I have seen no tail/brake lights that are near as bright as those that you turned me on to and that I put on my bike a while back.
The only others I have seen that I believe are acceptable are the Bright-Ass lights made for Harley-Davidson.

What are you running now Steve ? Always looking for more visibility.

Fred,
I don't know how to create a link.
Look up the thread entitled below:
New Rear Array . . . Finally!

Last edited:
Always looking for more visibility.
Visibility has less to do with quantity than location. Got a Top Case - that's a great "in your face" position. Like most cars 3rd brake light.
And get some "original 3M" reflective tape. I say the original as they tend to me more "colour-fast" .
I am not saying go OTT with it - but a little helps.
I am also a big fan of slightly side facing reflectors and markers.

trunktapeday.JPG trunktapenight.JPG

I also use Black Diamond tape on the front.
tapeday.JPG tapenight.JPG

Have to disagree with you on the bolded statement - they pass RED Light - which is a VERY important qualifier
It's quite fundamental - the viewed light looks RED because that is the wavelength it is passing, whereas the (incandescent) source is made up of a broad spectra of wavelengths.
OK - if it looks pink, then admittedly it's not a perfect 'notch' filter* - but it's important to recognize that PREDOMINANTLY it is the RED component of the spectrum that is being passed.
All well & good (sic!) for an incandescent - that is a broad spectrum light source of multiple wavelengths - the red filter allows the red wavelength to pass and blocks the others.
So yes, already it is quite inefficient for the emitted red light vs the total emitted light from the bulb
Now move to an LED - a White LED is NOT composed of the same spectral components as an incandescent; the red component is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY less.
The fact that is passes at all is because the red filter is not a perfect 'notch' filter.
The bottom line is that a RED Filter passes RED Wavelength light - the highest percentage of total total light that is passed through a RED filter is going to be from a RED LED - even if the total emitted raw lumens is less - because ALL of the light is going to be a much narrower wavelength bandwidth, much closer to matching the red filter.

* The wavelength of a RED LED is VERY narrow - certainly MUCH better than the bandwidth of the filter
So the filter is going to pass virtually all of the light (OK there may be some attenuation but that is going to be small relative to the non-RED blocking)

Some reading material - Standard and White LED Basics and Operation - Application Note - Maxim

i.e. there is NO Red Wavelength component in a White LED - the only reason it emits through the LENS at all, is because the LENS itself is not very focused on a narrow RED wavelength.

55a77ba9f12c4a2b8226270a0ab5c436VisibleSpectrum.png
This guy is good

Back