Leaking gear oil on roadster

jasondon

.020 Over
As per the picture, I have had a small amount of gear oil leaking from this chrome cap, is this just an overflow? I had my bike in the shop to have the caliper replaced in the fall, but there shouldn't have been any reason for them to change/add fluid, so not sure why this is happening.

Anyways I will open the filler bolt when I have someone to hold it up straight for me and see if it was over filled, but thought I would ask you guys first. It appears that there is just too much in there, and the extra is spitting out.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

Attachments

• 20130425_203044.jpg
    20130425_203044.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 203
that is just the breather for diff and while it may of no concern before you start undoing anything ... is it still under warranty? if so take it to dealer and explain show/your concern and they should be the ones that investigate it.
If not under warranty by all means check the oil level and condition (it may need changing and been overlooked when serviced) as if it was last replaced by dealer and they used incorrect oil (to thin etc) the manual recomends a specific oil, I use Castrol Syntrax full synthethetic API GLI 75w 90 Extreme Pressure Gear Oil which meets the requirements in the manual, remember there is not a lot of oil in that diff so don't scrimp on quality or price. I would be asking the dealer to show just which oil was used and also how long ago was it last changed. I change mine every 20,000 km and it is still in good condition but I would rather change it early
just my opinion and thought, hope it helps :)

that is just the breather for diff and while it may of no concern before you start undoing anything ... is it still under warranty? if so take it to dealer and explain show/your concern and they should be the ones that investigate it.
If not under warranty by all means check the oil level and condition (it may need changing and been overlooked when serviced) as if it was last replaced by dealer and they used incorrect oil (to thin etc) the manual recomends a specific oil, I use Castrol Syntrax full synthethetic API GLI 75w 90 Extreme Pressure Gear Oil which meets the requirements in the manual, remember there is not a lot of oil in that diff so don't scrimp on quality or price. I would be asking the dealer to show just which oil was used and also how long ago was it last changed. I change mine every 20,000 km and it is still in good condition but I would rather change it early
just my opinion and thought, hope it helps :)

My 07 classic started leaking from the same place last year. Not too much, but any is more than enough :D, I don't want it being confused for a 1980 Harley part!
I'm out of warranty, but I think I'll take it to triumph and ask. It didn't start until after my last service call (of course that was Dallas so I don't think the dealership in Mannheim will care).

Remember there is No Such thing as Good Enought for our bikes, there is a hell of lot Torque going thru that diff, insist on a Full synthethic Gear oil that meets the specs cos I can tell now the oil in our diffs is not the same as say a Honda or BMW and there is bugger all in there so if it is working to hard and causes fumes to come out of breather I know I would be concerned:)

Thanks Hanso. My bike is out of warranty now and I really dont think the dealer did anything, hopefully just a coincidence as there was no reason to. I will double check with them to be safe.

Is changing the diff fluid just like on other bikes, drain and then fill till it starts coming out of the filler hole while bike is level?

I am going to pick up some of the oil you mentioned and do it this weekend. I would imagine it doesnt take for than a litre?

Yes and yes, be real carefull when doing up the drain plug as it shears of easily due to it having a magnet and very thin walls, I forget the torque but its only about 15 f/lb I think, it wouldn't hurt to have spare one on hand as I actually sheared one taking it out thanks to a dealer outing a alloy crush washer behind it and doing it up to tight,
You know where to find us if you need any more assistance.
By the way if it does shear it is very easy to remove

The diff only holds a small amount of gear oil and it is usually clean not black..

There is an oils seal at the engine end of the drive shaft tube.. mine failed some years back and engine oil passed the seal and filled the shaft tube, I saw black oil on the rear rim and the seal was replaced..

I was wondering if engine oil has passed the bevel box shaft coupling seal and got into the bevel box lifting the oil level higher and it's coming from the breather cap?

You could stand the bike vertical and remove the filler plug.. not the drain plug!! the filler plug needs an allen key wrench to remove it.. if the oil level is high or is blackened then it could be engine oil seepage.

Try draining and refilling the bevel box to the correct level and monitor it..

<Take care the drain plugs shear off easily and its a painful exercise to get the broken magnetic plug out.>

Just thinking out allowed here.

Hi
you have a lot of good info with hanso and others.
when the diff heats up the air expands when the diff cools off it pulls the air back in. this brings with it dust,moisture that is why you need to change it even if it looks good.
if you have water in it,perhaps from rain or washing it. the water will steam and bring the oil out with it.
the book says .17liters=170ml
let us know what they say.
herman

More than likely, it's not a worry, as has been the case on my Mulberry mistress when she has exhibited the same, but it is best to check it out and put your dealer in the hot seat... just in case.;)

I agree it is probably ok, but time for a change anyways. Thanks for all the input & tips, will report back.

Suddenly missing my centre stand on my vmax....

Jason

Back