I've got the power...sort of

Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
Now that I've got the Rocket III Classic, I've got a couple of questions of the factory tunes.
From what I've read on the forum, Triumph has some new tunes out, do any of these
offer unrestricted acceleration in gears 1 and 2 which are now restricted, from what I understand, on any stock Rocket? Or can this only be done with the Tuneboy (pardon me if I may have already asked this question a couple of months ago)?

If I decide to not go the Tuneboy route, would I be out of line to ask my dealer to install the stock tune that the standard Rocket has? If I understand correctly, the Classic has been tuned down about 20 some HP because of it's "cornering" limitations. Just not sure if I have the "standard" factory tune installed whether or not it might lead to a possible voiding of my warranty.
Thanks,
Dennis
37 dtg!

The Classic tune's speed is limited more than the standard Rocket tunes. Otherwise they look the same.

None of the stock tunes offer full power in 1st and 2nd gear. In fact the tune for having the cat box removed and aftermarket exhaust is the most restrictive (you would figure it would offer the most performance).

Power is limited in the first two gears by retarding the ignition and closing the secondary throttle plates partially. Tuneboy is the only way to advance the ignition in the first two gears. You can also open the secondaries 100% with Tuneboy or you can just remove them with a screw driver.

Secondaries

Brian, thanks for the quick reply. About the secondaries, are there any drawbacks to taking them out? How hard is it to do? I'm a relatively decent mechanic, not much into the actual tearing down of engines, but would be willing to "experiment" possibly on this.
I guess when I get back I may just get around to lifting that tank up and seeing what is down in there.
Thanks,
Dennis
37 dtg

Molinoman,

I'm far from being a mechanic and had no problems removing the secondaries. Only drawback for me is that my addiction to speed has been strengthened. :)

Now that I've got the Rocket III Classic, I've got a couple of questions of the factory tunes.
From what I've read on the forum, Triumph has some new tunes out, do any of these
offer unrestricted acceleration in gears 1 and 2 which are now restricted, from what I understand, on any stock Rocket? Or can this only be done with the Tuneboy (pardon me if I may have already asked this question a couple of months ago)?

If I decide to not go the Tuneboy route, would I be out of line to ask my dealer to install the stock tune that the standard Rocket has? If I understand correctly, the Classic has been tuned down about 20 some HP because of it's "cornering" limitations. Just not sure if I have the "standard" factory tune installed whether or not it might lead to a possible voiding of my warranty.
Thanks,
Dennis
37 dtg!

That'll be a Classic question. Very **** good question! What warranty?? There are none for dumping it in the twisties:eek:

But good insurance can help:)

Last edited:
But I am no Jamie. I've not grown in the curvy manner. The G-force has a greater effect on me:)

I've develop'd a great deal of respect for the Rocket. Far more than my previous ride. It is a wimp.

Last edited:
My dealer has offered to put the new standard tune in my classic, I have cat box removed, and have the inheirant decel popping and feel its to restricted in 1st & 2nd. I'll guess pig9r hit the nail on the head. I was thinking about tune boy, but he has talked me out of it now, If it ever gets above 40 degrees I will run it down there. I doubt if they offer it, that it would affect the warranty.

Back