I have a 05. It just started kicking out 4th gear.

Bob spruce

Rocketpilot
Ride
05 Rocket
It goes into gear. But kicks out under load. All the other gears work great. It kicks out and there is some clatter, I can shift into 5th and its fine. Is there any adjustments that would make it not kick out? I want to add a 6th gear if I open it up. But riding season is starting and I don't want to take the engine off until fael Is riding it bad? Just skip 4th. And has anyone heard if that guy that developed a 6th gear is selling them?

Could be a possible detent spring try holding it in fourth and see if it kicks out. If it does you should stop riding it before the circlip on the output shaft slides a wee bit more and you'll feel catostrophic failure as it locks up. Be safe crashing a rocket is no fun that I can definetly say with experience.

It sounds like detent spring only problem is you won't know till you open it up like @warp9.9 don't keep riding it as could do a lot more damage.@R-III-R Turbo is the man you need to speak to about the 2.5l stroker kit with the 6th gear

Could be a possible detent spring try holding it in fourth and see if it kicks out. If it does you should stop riding it before the circlip on the output shaft slides a wee bit more and you'll feel catostrophic failure as it locks up. Be safe crashing a rocket is no fun that I can definetly say with experience.

Yup, mine was kicking out of second, I set out on a trip and figured I'd skip second, locked up solid in St Louis at rush hour on a blind curve on the interstate. Warp was there, too

Last edited:
It sounds like detent spring only problem is you won't know till you open it up like @warp9.9 don't keep riding it as could do a lot more damage.@R-III-R Turbo is the man you need to speak to about the 2.5l stroker kit with the 6th gear
The cost of the kit alone is worth more than a 2005 Rocket, if it is the detent spring then worth fixing anything more serious maybe better parting the bike out.

Yes stroker kit but spring is comming. You can check the detent spring with totally removing the front. Drain radiator. Jack bike up amd put jack stands under the front peg rails. This lets th oil in the sump migrate to the rear so you don't have to drain it. But you can thats up to you. Once coolant is drained pull water pump and go thru there with a scope. Below us a picture of a good one. If it was brole it would be dangling.

detent scope.jpg

Also you can pull the radiator, water pump and clutch cover to inspect it is about a 4 hour job. Less if you've broke as much stuff as I have. And have had the practice :D

Gear1.jpg
Gear2.jpg
I think the problem described has nothing to do with the detent spring. It's because of worn cams in the gearbox. If the edges have become round due to wear, the gear kicks out under load and then in again when load is reduced.
You will probably need to remove the engine and replace some gear parts. Probably a worn shift fork as well. No good news....
Regards, Georg

Last edited:
Back