I don't like it, but I think I need it

I'll have to check closely on the business card embedded (its a bit hard to read).
Post (or mail me) a good close up - maybe we can decipher.

Some time ago I remember there was a guy selling glass-work on the German R3 forum - though iirc he was actually Czech.
He was offering Beetle bag copies too - reportedly better quality than originals.

Looks like a typical race fairing.....put it on and try some runs to see if it will stand up to Bonneville speeds.

As some of you may know already I'm going to be attempting a land speed record in the near future hopefully in summer of 2019. Part of that effort is going to involve a little bit of airodynamics.

The first piece of those efforts will be this fairing. If I choose to go further and adapt full side cover fairings is still up in the air.

I've never been a huge fan of how bikini or small fairings look on otherwise naked bikes, however it would seem the current upper limit for the R3 without a fairing is right around 175 miles an hour, and I want to go a lot faster than that.

The setup arrived today from Singapore, built in Germany, and has a very robust mounting system with 4 anchor points and is made of multilayer fiberglass, so shouldn't have any issues with air pressure (might need to get a shorter screen though).

Will get it fitted over the holidays, we'll see how effective it is if/when we get a freak warm day this winter!
20181208_171723.jpg
20181208_171706.jpg
[/QUOTE

Well the numbers are appropriate 666 number of the beast and i do believe mufasa is a beast:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not only does it need to reduce aerodynamic resistance, it needs to do so without generating lift. The area beneath the headlights is already high pressure so creating more is counter-productive. Check that the screen assembly installed as intended does not create lift. Last thing you want on a speed record run is a light front end. A fairing for running 180mph will be quite different than one intended for use at road speeds. Subtle changes such as mounting angle (angle of attack) will make large differences so building in some mounting adjustability would be helpful in set-up.

Thanks, the assembly has small turnbuckles on the rods so the top of the screen can be pushed in/out about 1-2" already, I may have to increase that to get the right angle.

Holy cow, I see it now. I swear the top pic looks like a fairing with a bra. Couldn’t see it in 3D, didn’t realize I’m looking at the backside.
Apologies, my brain is fried from hanging freaking Christmas lights today....

I had to look at both pics for awhile too before I figured it out. It does look like two different fairings at first.

Should do the trick Rob. Where will you do your practice runs?

Holy cow, I see it now. I swear the top pic looks like a fairing with a bra. Couldn’t see it in 3D, didn’t realize I’m looking at the backside.
Apologies, my brain is fried from hanging freaking Christmas lights today....

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I initially saw it that way too.

I had to look at both pics for awhile too before I figured it out. It does look like two different fairings at first.

Should do the trick Rob. Where will you do your practice runs?

I have no idea, but, I need to work it out lol. I may just do some trackdays on the rocket, corner it fairly easy in the slow group and absolutely send it down the straight. Should be able to crack 180 on the straight at the ridge. I was ticking 151-153 mph consistently on the Daytona there with tons of space to brake, deliberately not trying to pile the bike into turn 1.

If that's doesn't work out for whatever reason, I have the 1/3 mile roll race where I was cracking 155 mph on the rocket last year, 70 horsepower ago, to test on, 170+ should be easily reached there.

I'm not super worried about stability, the bikes rock stable over 150, more concerned with traction at the salt. Crosswinds could of course change that, but on a brick like the R3 the center of gravity vs center of drag will be so far apart it should self correct easily.

Once I drop the back of the bike down, so it's not raked forward to improve cornering, she's going to be stable like a train.

I'll have 2 miles to get up to speed before the timed mile, so even at low throttle it should be pleeeeenty of space.

In all honesty I see 150+ on a somewhat regular basis lol, just running 2nd to 3rd hard is well past 100 and I do it just about every time I merge onto the freeway.

I don't recall the gent who did the 174.xx but I seem to remember he had diminishing return the closer he got to that speed. His front fairing failed is all I remember. Scary stuff... Hell if I don't go to a cat II every ride I may as just quit riding. :D

DiSalvo Conquers the Salt Flats!
Jason DiSalvo and his Rocket III set new world record at Bonneville.
Latus Motors Racing rider Jason DiSalvo set new AMA and FIM land-speed racing records at the famed Bonneville Salt Flats with a Rocket III Roadster, fielded by the Hot Rod Conspiracy/Carpenter Racing team. He ran in the Modified (normally) Aspirated Fuel (MAF) class for motorcycles up to 3,000cc’s. DiSalvo’s initial run was 175.998mph, and his return run was 172.587mph for an average, world-record-setting speed of 174.276mph (280.470kph) for the flying mile and 174.880mph (281.443kph) for the flying kilometer. What’s amazing is this Rocket is fully streetable, using one of Bob Carpenter’s 240hp over-the-counter performance kits. The records are subject to FIM Ratification and anticipated to be reviewed during their November meeting in Valencia, Spain.

The Triumph Rocket III already holds the record as the largest-displacement production motorcycle in history, but, apparently, one record wasn’t enough. At least that was the feeling of Latus Motors Racing’s Jason DiSalvo and the Hot Rod Conspiracy/Carpenter Racing team. Their fully streetable, 240hp Rocket III recently set new AMA and FIM land speed records at the legendary Bonneville Salt Flats, proving Triumph’s 2300cc powerhouse truly lives up to its name.

Back