I don't like it, but I think I need it

As some of you may know already I'm going to be attempting a land speed record in the near future hopefully in summer of 2019. Part of that effort is going to involve a little bit of airodynamics.

The first piece of those efforts will be this fairing. If I choose to go further and adapt full side cover fairings is still up in the air.

I've never been a huge fan of how bikini or small fairings look on otherwise naked bikes, however it would seem the current upper limit for the R3 without a fairing is right around 175 miles an hour, and I want to go a lot faster than that.

The setup arrived today from Singapore, built in Germany, and has a very robust mounting system with 4 anchor points and is made of multilayer fiberglass, so shouldn't have any issues with air pressure (might need to get a shorter screen though).

Will get it fitted over the holidays, we'll see how effective it is if/when we get a freak warm day this winter!
20181208_171723.jpg
20181208_171706.jpg
Anybody got access to a wind tunnel?

It's a great idea, if I had the 5k sitting around with nonplans or a sponsor who'd pay it I'd jump all over it.

Here it is. Had to go back to T-Bars for now, I'm going to need totally straight drag bars to work with the stock risers, the slight sweep on the ones I've got are not compatible.

I am a little surprised, I actually like how it looks

20181214_125419.jpg
20181214_125449.jpg
20181214_125432.jpg

Last edited:
It does, I'm already committed to that class because I'm not using stock fenders. Front will be a modified Hayabusa fender, to the limit of the MPS coverage.

First day of riding is done with it. I'm a big fan!! It takes a lot of the wind off of me, the pocket extends to about 3" below the top of my helmet sitting bolt upright. A rider that's 5'10" to 6" would probably sit nicely upright with no buffeting or extra wind noise.

When tucked it's a dead still pocket, no wind noise, no buffeting, perfect calm. Exactly what I want at the salt.

Spoke with a current LSR record holder I went to visit today, his over all assessment of the fairing .... Probably won't add to top speed (or detract) but will certainly make it a hell of a lot more comfortable holding the bike flat out for 5 miles.

Tested up to 130mph, no issues. Rode home through a storm with serious cross winds, enough to shift me from right most lane position to the very left edge of the lane involuntarily, no instability caused (30+mph gusts). Should be totally solid on the salt.

Last edited:
Here it is. Had to go back to T-Bars for now, I'm going to need totally straight drag bars to work with the stock risers, the slight sweep on the ones I've got is not compatible.

I am a little surprised, I actually like how it looks
20181214_125419.jpg
20181214_125449.jpg
20181214_125432.jpg

Beautiful looking bike and the fairing is definitely a plus!

I'm a big fan!! It takes a lot of the wind off of me, the pocket extends to about 3" below the top of my helmet sitting bolt upright. A rider that's 5'10" to 6" would probably sit nicely upright with no buffeting or extra wind noise.
Ach ja! - German engineering, mein schatz.

The aestetics are a bit odd - though that may be also the mix with other non standard and "slimmed down look" parts. I suspect it would "suit" a standard Roadster well though.
Me likey. If it keeps wind off - it keeps water off.

Back