Hot Rear Brakes

If the boot is ok you should be able to use either grease or dry lube, I feel certain that mine started freezing up simply through grease drying out and dust /dirt entry getting past the boot. I just kept spraying it with penetrating oil and working it until it freed up, flushing out all the crap. I haven't put any other lube on the pin since (over 12 months ago - 10,000km) still good.

If the pin does not slide in and out real easy then its a problem, you need to clean it up and get rid of the corrosion and dirt particles and assemble, lube and make sure the boot is ok and go again, just remember it must float / slide on the pins real easy.

There is no dirt just sticky pins. I placed grease in there a while back and that is not a good thing to do. The pistons were bad but the whole problem started with lubing the boot where the pin slides.

IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0618.JPG

At the same interval as changing the rear tire and lubing the splines, the rear caliper base and caliper need to be separated and the boots cleaned. If you go to your bike and you can't slide the caliper in and out easy, your rear disc and caliper and probably running hot.

WHAT! :eek: No link :p
Alright I will give yuz an extra few too!;):D
These should cover you. But make sure you get the right ones!

PDPIN009_2_SM1200.jpg

Street pad pins
Pad Pins | Motorcycle Bolts & Kits – Racebolt

Race pad pins with wiring holes
Race Pad Pins | Motorcycle Bolts & Kits – Racebolt

Extras

Triumph Rocket III 05 Ti Flanged Hex Front Caliper Mounting Kit
Triumph Rocket III 05+ SS Socket Cap Front Caliper Mounting Bolts

Triumph Daytona & Rocket 3 Stainless joint bolt set Nissin front brake calipers | eBay

Triumph Rocket 3 04-09 front brake caliper seal repair kit 2004 2005 2006 2007 | eBay

Triumph Rocket 3 04-14 rear brake caliper seal repair kit 2004 2005 2006 2007 | eBay

Alright I will give yuz an extra few too!;):D
These should cover you. But make sure you get the right ones!

PDPIN009_2_SM1200.jpg

Street pad pins
Pad Pins | Motorcycle Bolts & Kits – Racebolt

Race pad pins with wiring holes
Race Pad Pins | Motorcycle Bolts & Kits – Racebolt

Extras

Triumph Rocket III 05 Ti Flanged Hex Front Caliper Mounting Kit
Triumph Rocket III 05+ SS Socket Cap Front Caliper Mounting Bolts

Triumph Daytona & Rocket 3 Stainless joint bolt set Nissin front brake calipers | eBay

Triumph Rocket 3 04-09 front brake caliper seal repair kit 2004 2005 2006 2007 | eBay

Triumph Rocket 3 04-14 rear brake caliper seal repair kit 2004 2005 2006 2007 | eBay

Those are the seal kits I got. Did not know about the pins. Once the new boots go on the problem should stop. Now, the grease in that little package... where does it go?

I think you will find that little package is rubber grease for piston and seal assembly. You can use some of that on your front pin - liberal amounts, should slip right in there, after that make sure when the pin and the caliper is in place that the boot is located in the shoulder of the pin properly or dirt/dust will get in there - when the boot is seated correctly it will stay clean.

I usually use silicone grease on brake rubbers. I have a tube of Dow Corning vacuum grease but dielectric grease works just as well. The grease is kinda w/o color maybe best description is translucent.

I think you will find that little package is rubber grease for piston and seal assembly. You can use some of that on your front pin - liberal amounts, should slip right in there, after that make sure when the pin and the caliper is in place that the boot is located in the shoulder of the pin properly or dirt/dust will get in there - when the boot is seated correctly it will stay clean.

Grease for the pistons? :thumbsdown: I hope the kit comes with instructions. I though that only brake fluid should be used on the pistons. I also think that copious grease in the pin boot will just hinder it from floating free.

Yes it does get hot, don't put on so much it will drop off. We lube o rings with this stuff that sees 30kpsi differential and 600°F, Just wet the rubber, it doesn't need to be caked on.

This is all getting far too complex. I dislike single sided callipers like the R3 rear, anyway. Time to swap it out for a proper double sided one (correctly shimmed). Pretech might be a bit OTT Pretech Motorcycle Brake Cliper Triumph Rocket lll Rear 6 Pot CaliperRequires Bracket

I did something similar when I still had my Buell S3T - made a MASSIVE difference.

I'll bet there is a Brembo kit somewhere - If not all it takes is a bit of design and machining to make the rear support. Hmmmmm!

Back