Hesitation at 2000 RPM (with Tune ECU questions)

Jabo75

Eschew Obfuscation
Ride
2005 Rocket 3, 2010 Electraglide Ultra CVO
I just had the 30K mile service done on my 2005 Roadster. Once I got the bike back, I now notice a hesitation at around 1,800-2,200 RPM when the throttle is being lightly applied. The hesitation is not present when I am at or near full throttle. To me this screams TPS but I figured I would try loading my TORS exhaust with cat delete map with Tune ECU. Did not correct the problem. At this point I am thinking I need to order a TPS but I have a few questions (wondering if I should post this in the Tune ECU forum):

1) I have my laptop with Tune ECU at work so I can't open the program and explore, but can someone tell me how to check the TPS with Tune ECU?

2) How hard is it to replace the TPS myself? I am pretty mechanically inclined.

3) I recall reading somewhere that there is a reprogramming (not the 12 minute tune) that needs to occur after replacing the TPS. Any info on this is welcome.

replacing the TPS is easy then use "Adjust ISCV" (double cick and follow prompts) on the bottom left of "Tests"page this allow you to adjust and sync it with the Stepper motor, this process also reset Adaptation at the end just, You will need a t25 torx key (for the TPS) and a 7mm spanner if you need to adjust the Stepper motor try and get the voltages spot on for best result

Try re-crimping the low tension leads on the coils, the ones behind the steering neck are a beotch to get to but it solved a similar problem on mine. While the tank is up check for cracked vacuum hoses. Also, if the problem started right after the service work, you might have gotten a dud sparkplug, or the tech damaged one of the plug wires. Sometimes they are really hard to disconnect. Best of luck to ya' !

Try re-crimping the low tension leads on the coils, the ones behind the steering neck are a beotch to get to but it solved a similar problem on mine. While the tank is up check for cracked vacuum hoses. Also, if the problem started right after the service work, you might have gotten a dud sparkplug, or the tech damaged one of the plug wires. Sometimes they are really hard to disconnect. Best of luck to ya' !
Yea, I saw another post where you helped someone fix a similar issue by tightening the crimp on the leads. I think I will start with that and maybe even try new plugs before I replace the TPS.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I will report back the final solution.

Yea, I saw another post where you helped someone fix a similar issue by tightening the crimp on the leads. I think I will start with that and maybe even try new plugs before I replace the TPS.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I will report back the final solution.

• Checked the crimps on the coils, all are tight.
  • Pulled and reseated the plug wires.
  • Vacuum hoses seem to be OK.
I ran Tune ECU. My TPS is showing OK.

I recall reading where the TPS can be bad but still show to be OK in Tune ECU. I think my next step may be to replace the TPS and see is it resolves my issue. Dealer said it is $135 and they have one in stock.

• Checked the crimps on the coils, all are tight.
  • Pulled and reseated the plug wires.
  • Vacuum hoses seem to be OK.
I ran Tune ECU. My TPS is showing OK.

I recall reading where the TPS can be bad but still show to be OK in Tune ECU. I think my next step may be to replace the TPS and see is it resolves my issue. Dealer said it is $135 and they have one in stock.

At this point I think I would run some seafoam through the fuel system to make sure you didn't get some watery/crappy gas.

At this point I think I would run some seafoam through the fuel system to make sure you didn't get some watery/crappy gas.

Good suggestion, but I am on my 4th tank of gas since this started. The fact that it only happens at slight (1/8th or so) throttle and not at full throttle as well as only at about 1,700 to 2,100 rpm really seems to be a TPS issue don't you think?

Yes you should run a ISCV reset/check. If you haven't then your TPS voltage is not correct. You can only check the voltage and set it properly during the ISCV reset. As you have to have the ecu fully retract the stepper motor so you can adjust the TPS voltage or set it at the correct voltage when your changing it.

Yes you should run a ISCV reset/check. If you haven't then your TPS voltage is not correct. You can only check the voltage and set it properly during the ISCV reset. As you have to have the ecu fully retract the stepper motor so you can adjust the TPS voltage or set it at the correct voltage when your changing it.
Have you done an isev (I think that's the correct letters) reset ? That calibrates the tps and idle stepper motor. It's done using tuneecu or tuneboy.
I have not. Since the dealer was supposed to balance the throttle bodies as part of the 30K maintenance, as you both saying that doing this may fix the problem without first purchasing the TPS?

Back