Help! Poor running and I want to go to Sturgis

Ok that changes things except for the part that you cleaned and lubricated it and there was a positive change. If it were myself I would clean and lubricate it more . Paying special attention to the springs in the front as they have to do with idle , the idle stepper motor cam tension and proper operations
If the spring returns aren't working right the stepper motor has problems adjusting the proper opening. Note the area in the box and what the arrow is pointing at.
idle movment 1.jpg

Then I would also lubricate the stepper motor using the idle stepper mot test to nove the motor shaft in and out. Do the test several times after lubricating like below
20190515_140225.jpg

Then check the proper freeplay in each throttle cable so its not fighting each other and the stepper motor.
20170701_152914.jpg

Once I did that I'd run a full ISCV reset along with resetting the adaptations after the reset is done. Then cycle key off and count to 5 then turn it on and start the bike without moving the throttle. Run it until the fan kicks on then run it for 12 minutes more without touching the throttle. Now while its doing this you here it change the rpm. As its adjusting it on fuel idle and its off fuel idle sequences. While its idling I'd be taking note of vacuum numbers on each throttle body looking for leaks then see how and if they are in balance. Like I said if it were me!!!
Okay thanks I am familiar with the 12 min tune. Also I did synchronize my throttle bodies they are within 10(hg?) Of each other. I did not lube in the rubber boots. Now the big problem I don't know how to do an full ISCV reset. Just the tune ECU test you mentioned earlier. As for that main idle stop should it be adjusted just below the ISCV controlled idle? You are saving me a ton of time thanks!
If you ever make it to Utah I hope you let me know.

Okay thanks I am familiar with the 12 min tune. Also I did synchronize my throttle bodies they are within 10(hg?) Of each other. I did not lube in the rubber boots. Now the big problem I don't know how to do an full ISCV reset. Just the tune ECU test you mentioned earlier. As for that main idle stop should it be adjusted just below the ISCV controlled idle? You are saving me a ton of time thanks!
Tune ecu will perform the ISCV reset. It is my belief that that is not a idle adjustment screw. It is a throttle close position. Its right in the middle of the spring loaded area. With out it or adjusted to far in either direct removes the are the stepper motor operates in. Ask yourself how does the idle change with a stepper motor yet the hand throttle doesn't rotate? I believe there is a how to do the ISCV reset in the tune ecu area. I know I've wrote it out a few times someone like @Joesmoe probably put a sticky on it.

So an update I really cleaned and lubed everything well. Did the ISCV full reset and 12 min tune. It will run good for a bit but I still get stumbling in curtain conditions. If I Rev right threw that area everything is fine but if I let linger it's bad. I'm going to lift the table an check everything ready well. Also I will reload my tune. It's manageable now so far anyway.

So an update I really cleaned and lubed everything well. Did the ISCV full reset and 12 min tune. It will run good for a bit but I still get stumbling in curtain conditions. If I Rev right threw that area everything is fine but if I let linger it's bad. I'm going to lift the table an check everything ready well. Also I will reload my tune. It's manageable now so far anyway.
Okay so new update I apologise for not getting you guys the best information. In the last tune modification, I changed the fan to turn on at 100c, instead of 94c. Not realizing it would be that sensitive. I couldn't imagine it being the problem, at that time. But as I thought through the timeline of events it made sense. After I loaded the original tune from 2 wheel Dyno works, it seem to have solved the issue. It felt just like a clogged lowspeed circuit in a carburetor. So I imagine the extra heat offset the mixture to the point it couldn't be managed in the open loop fuel injection. I will know more on my ride to work. I really can't thank you guys enough.

Okay so new update I apologise for not getting you guys the best information. In the last tune modification, I changed the fan to turn on at 100c, instead of 94c. Not realizing it would be that sensitive. I couldn't imagine it being the problem, at that time. But as I thought through the timeline of events it made sense. After I loaded the original tune from 2 wheel Dyno works, it seem to have solved the issue. It felt just like a clogged lowspeed circuit in a carburetor. So I imagine the extra heat offset the mixture to the point it couldn't be managed in the open loop fuel injection. I will know more on my ride to work. I really can't thank you guys enough.
Found the problem. But along the way, I have the honey Badger running at it's best now. The front number 1 plug wire came loose. I must have pushed on those 10 times but this wire was stubborn! Lesson learned lol. Thanks for all your help again guys.

Okay new update sadly the bike did great all the way to Denver. When I went to leave Denver for Sturgis it acted up again. I have to hold idle now just to keep it running. I have done an ISCV rest a few times now here I Sturgis. It seams to get weird when it's hot. Cruising "seems" okay just idle. So I have a 2012 and tried disconnecting the stepper mechanically. Unfortunately my bike can't work that way it runs from idle to 2700rpm when it wants. After the ISCV reset it will run good for about 6min then I can't make it through a full 12 min tune. I did notice that the o2 sensor has no reading. As in no voltage. I am assuming it is shut off, but I'm open to suggestions. Wish me luck.

Okay new update sadly the bike did great all the way to Denver. When I went to leave Denver for Sturgis it acted up again. I have to hold idle now just to keep it running. I have done an ISCV rest a few times now here I Sturgis. It seams to get weird when it's hot. Cruising "seems" okay just idle. So I have a 2012 and tried disconnecting the stepper mechanically. Unfortunately my bike can't work that way it runs from idle to 2700rpm when it wants. After the ISCV reset it will run good for about 6min then I can't make it through a full 12 min tune. I did notice that the o2 sensor has no reading. As in no voltage. I am assuming it is shut off, but I'm open to suggestions. Wish me luck.
If it's only acting up when it's hot, I'd check the coils. Sometimes it's a hairline crack that's hard to see.

Last edited:
If it's only acting u[p when it's hot, I'd check the coils. Sometimes it's a hairline crack that's hard to see.
Yeah the problem is it's always hot lol. The coils looked pretty good this morning. It will run good a few stops and the it will try and die. I can smell it's rich/unburt fuel.

Back