Help needed with Ramair install

I know it doesn't excuse them, but how about a short length of heat shrink tubing shrunk onto the base of the sensor? Mine fit perfectly in the hole and no interference with the throttle linkage.

Yeah I'm not sure how many got made with the accidently larger hole, however many base plates they get fabbed at once I suppose. The extension harness is very well made and has a nice boot over the base so probably not necessary to do anymore for it. It's not hitting the sensor itself - just the wires/boot coming out of the back. If someone gets one where there is a bit more of an issue that's a great idea :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm not sure how many got made with the accidently larger hole, however many base plates they get fabbed at once I suppose. The extension harness is very well made and has a nice boot over the base so probably not necessary to do anymore for it. It's not hitting the sensor itself - just the wires/boot coming out of the back. If someone gets one where there is a bit more of an issue that's a great idea :thumbsup:
When you get that sorted and install the ramair onto the throttle bodies, don't overtighten the hose clamps cos the thin rubber will give away and stuff the whole deal....I know cos it happened to me...good luck.

When you get that sorted and install the ramair onto the throttle bodies, don't overtighten the hose clamps cos the thin rubber will give away and stuff the whole deal....I know cos it happened to me...good luck.

Thanks mate, I'd heard about that issue and took it easy on the clamps. All sitting on there nice now.

I would not accept a product that I paid for that was made incorrectly. Read the thread on the exhaust pipes that did not fit correctly and was blown away that someone would accept that and try to make it work anyways. Aftermarket parts should fit the bike they are made for without having to modify. I have spent a lot of time and money modifying different brands of motorcycles and never had a problem with the aftermarket parts fitting properly. The more I read and learn the less likely I will do any modifications to the Rocket X. Ramair is aware of the problem they should recall the unsold parts and replace the parts people bought.

I would not accept a product that I paid for that was made incorrectly. Read the thread on the exhaust pipes that did not fit correctly and was blown away that someone would accept that and try to make it work anyways. Aftermarket parts should fit the bike they are made for without having to modify. I have spent a lot of time and money modifying different brands of motorcycles and never had a problem with the aftermarket parts fitting properly. The more I read and learn the less likely I will do any modifications to the Rocket X. Ramair is aware of the problem they should recall the unsold parts and replace the parts people bought.

What you said :thumbsup:

I put plastic ties around the whole ramair to hold it in place after stuffing the rubber with tight hose clips...worked ok....

Did you notice the back of the sensor harness gets hit by the balance screw when at WOT? It's not enough to hold if from hitting the throttle stop but not the greatest. It's a reasonably good kit with a couple of easily fixed minor issues I suppose.

Hi 3Katz,

If the balance screw is hitting the harness you have threaded the extension cable on the wrong side of the horizontal pipe that's close to the back of the Ramair (ithat pipe might be the fuel rail, but I'm out of town at the moment and can't look).
DAMHIK

Mark Dunn

Hi 3Katz,

If the balance screw is hitting the harness you have threaded the extension cable on the wrong side of the horizontal pipe that's close to the back of the Ramair (ithat pipe might be the fuel rail, but I'm out of town at the moment and can't look).
DAMHIK

Mark Dunn

Hi Mark,

I know what you mean. I have the harness running over the top of that rail. The way it wants to lay neatly is under the rail but that would definitely bind up on the balance screw, so it's basically folded at 90 deg upwards to go up over the rail.

It's hard to explain so I took some pics. The first pic is closed throttle - you can see the black boot of the harness directly above the spring and it is folded up tight to go over the rail behind it.

The second pic is at WOT and you can see the balance screw has come around and is touching the boot. From here you can see if the harness were to lay under that rail it would be bound up for sure.

Does this look like yours? I was thinking of taking it off and seeing if the whole assembly mounts nicer upside down (sensor hole between cylinders 1 and 2 and down low) but it's really not enough to worry about I think.

20161018_140246.jpg
20161018_140407.jpg

(edit spaces)

Lectra-Motive.jpg
@3Katz A little off topic, but I see a potential issue in these last two pictures. You have a fair bit of road grim building up on the linkage and springs there. That caused issues with my stepper motor and throttle bodies. I did not clean them well and the road grim caused them to prematurely wear out. A racing buddy recommended using Lectra-Motive cleaner. I just spray on and let it work, then wipe off. Try not to get it on the paint though.

Lectra-Motive.jpg
@3Katz A little off topic, but I see a potential issue in these last two pictures. You have a fair bit of road grim building up on the linkage and springs there. That caused issues with my stepper motor and throttle bodies. I did not clean them well and the road grim caused them to prematurely wear out. A racing buddy recommended using Lectra-Motive cleaner. I just spray on and let it work, then wipe off. Try not to get it on the paint though.

Thanks mate, I was surprised how bad it looks in the pics! I'll definitely get into it with a bit of cleaner before I put the bear claw back on. We will have something similar over - hopefully ok on paint :thumbsup:

Back