I bought a new Shark S9000 for the Hervey Bay trip. Great fit, looks good and has a second drop down tinted visor. Don't wear full face all that much but I found it to be very comfortable and not with that closed in feel at all. It was a bit noisy at speed, although I couldn't tell you if it's worse than others. The tinted visor is great; you hardly notice it and is quick to flip up or down as needed. Price was around $360. Performed very well when tested, so I read. Good value I reckon.

The visor mechanism on Arai's helmets does suck and blow simultaneously. Fortunately we have a much broader range of full faced lids to choose from these days than we did even 10 years ago. Some are a bit better or more feature laden than others, but as long as you choose one with both Snell 2010 and DOT approvals and that fits your head properly, you're good to go.

Here's the bible since I don't believe that there's such a thing as a Snell approved helmet that doesn't also meet the less stringent D.O.T. standard: Snell Foundation - M2010 certified helmets

I bought a NEWLY released Shark Race-R PRO Carbon and thou it was expensive it is well worth it, I went the shark Evoline a couple of years ago because I found that a lot of the Full Face helmets were claustrophobic or just didn't fit my head.
Anyway this is so quiet with the main vents closed and only the tiny forehead vent open I was still getting a great flow of air and the massive exhaust vent draws the air over your head thru superdeep channels, it is the first fullface that I could happilly wear with the shield closed here is a link to a page where I have already posted a picture of it post # 15
http://www.r3owners.net/bearclaw-corner/14721-more-thanks-hanso-2.html

I always used Arai helmets from when I got my licence remember those stipid press studs to hold the visor down. I used to clip one down all the time and cut the other corner with the press stud off to get rid of the rattle. Two helmets ago I was talked into buying a Shoei because they getv less wind noise. Something that in my case is true I found the new tight Shoei much quieter than my old loose Arai. So I don't really know if one is better than the other but I have stuck with Shoei. I think my current one is a TX 1100.

Had the expensive Shoei fullfaces and still have two $1,000+ Arais fullfaces sitting on top of the cupboard. We both wear RXT Metros now , as quiet as any top shelf lid that i've worn ... $140 with a tinted visor :rolleyes: will do me !!

a good helmet is always worth the cost. Years ago (early '80s) i used to race a Commodore in speedway Grand National class. My wife bought me a new Bell helmet (model designation I can't remember) but I do know it was over $400 and back then it was a lot of money. It was only the second time I wore it and the bottom control arm let go in a race and I did a right turn into the safety wall at about 80 mph. My head hit the roll cage and cracked the outer skin of the helmet and I had concussion as well as a few other injuries. The point is a cheaper helmet may not have held up as well as the Bell and I could have sustained more serious injuries. I never used it again due to it being cracked.

Back