rocketbill

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Ok after my recent wreck my wife wants me to buy a better helmet i had a Scorpion exo1000 full face. It held up well except the face shield fell off after it was all over. I'm not sure, I liked my exo1000 and its reasonably priced 150-300 depending where you buy it. Is an Arai worth it, I dont have a problem spending 500 bucks on a helmet but not to get a marginally better one. Also all my helmets have to be dot and snell certified.

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 116
If your face shield fell off after the accident and not during, it did its job. In the end if the helmet is completely destroyed and your head is completely intact you had a good helmet.

There was an article in Motorcyclist several years ago that really opened a lot of eyes when it comes to the type of helmets and their effectiveness. Here's a link to a copy of the article.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

All things said, I wear an Arai and consider it worth the money. But, that's due in large part to the fit. I have an Arai head and very few helmets fit as well.

I gotta agree. If you like your helmet and it did it's job( your head's in tact) then I would just get another one. At least you know you can count on it due to personal experience with the product.

My .02...we spend thousands on upgrades but when it comes time for a lid there is always an excuse to cut corners and go with a "more economical" one.

I have worn every major brand (arai quantum, shoei x10, rf1100, bell star, scorpion exo1100, hjc cl16,nolan n104, and a few others)
comfort and noise seem to be very subjective but imho the one that reins supreme
fits like a glove
easy visor change
perfect seal visor
quiet-no whistling
vents like a mofo

Shoei RF1100 and a distant second is the Bell Star

That's a great lid... too bad it really doesn't suit my head's shape. And, yes, I insist that any helmet that will grace mine or a passenger's head, must be both Snell 2010 and D.O.T. approved.

I am an Arai guy, as well, because of the assortment of shell shapes offered, but I found the Bell Star to be superior to my Arai Vector. Both helmets' shields detached in the only two get offs I've ever experienced and that was a good thing which prevented further injury.

BTW, TRIIICK, if you haven't done so already, check out Joe Rocket's RKT 101, Transtone Carbon helmets. They are made by HJC and are priced reasonably. It was the only lid I could find that actually matched my beautiful Mulberry Red factory pain color (in the sun) and it has that very cool rocket logo up front! I think that the newer, 2010 snell approved model is called the RKT 201. Mine: Joe Rocket RKT 201 Helmet - Transtone Carbon $413.99! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $459.99

My biggest complaint about the arai is the release slide on the visor...cant they get with the program...I mean dont they have design engineers who can reverse engineer what Bell and Shoei helmets have done and then add a twist they its not a patent infringement??? Arai has been using that same slide lock/release for 15 years...its functionally obsolete..imho.

That's a great lid... too bad it really doesn't suit my head's shape. And, yes, I insist that any helmet that will grace mine or a passenger's head, must be both Snell 2010 and D.O.T. approved.

I am an Arai guy, as well, because of the assortment of shell shapes offered, but I found the Bell Star to be superior to my Arai Vector. Both helmets' shields detached in the only two get offs I've ever experienced and that was a good thing which prevented further injury.

BTW, TRIIICK, if you haven't done so already, check out Joe Rocket's RKT 101, Transtone Carbon helmets. They are made by HJC and are priced reasonably. It was the only lid I could find that actually matched my beautiful Mulberry Red factory pain color (in the sun) and it has that very cool rocket logo up front! I think that the newer, 2010 snell approved model is called the RKT 201. Mine: Joe Rocket RKT 201 Helmet - Transtone Carbon $413.99! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $459.99

Agree ... Arai visor mechanism is a paiinthearse that's for sure. Shoei design is a lot easier if you want to switch between tinted and clear visors. We've had both brands but have stuck with Arai because of the better fit.

Back