A barely used helmet you can gey quite a few years from it, plus you are in Kansas --does the sun ever come out in Kansas:D
Now helmets are like water heaters they corrode/ break down from the inside out so even if it looks okay ---looks can be deceiving.

Independent tests(still looking for it -it was a few years ago) strongly recommend replacement after 5years mainly due to the sweat factor destoying the helmet, plus the sun on the helmet etc etc
It's not that I am not looking for a new helmet. I was doing that anyway ( I want a white or silver one that's not going to bake my head going across Kansas) it's just that it really is low milage and always garaged.

A barely used helmet you can gey quite a few years from it, plus you are in Kansas --does the sun ever come out in Kansas:D
Now helmets are like water heaters they corrode/ break down from the inside out so even if it looks okay ---looks can be deceiving.

My water heater at my rental spring a leak last week and ended up springing $2600.00 for a new one.

Also I brought a new helmet 5 weeks ago but won't be using it over winter as it doesn't have the aint fog type visor.

@Tal said he won't ride with me if I have it on as its furo yellow.

I try to replace helmet every 4 years and so far I have beaten that as been riding ten years and had about 8 helmets.

I did get 2 replaced by insurance as they fell off the shelf during the earthquakes we had back in 2010 to 2012.

Last edited:
So the whole age/use/exposure chestnut.

A "guideline" is just that. And is just one.
The minute it starts to smell of, well, you: it is already starting to rot.
Washing linings only helps the soft lining. Not the harder impact lining.
Do use use non biological cleansers? - Do you use natural soaps? - Detergents contain salt.

tbh the proper measure is probably hours worn. With an "age" weighting.

But - somewhere we have a near mint 9 or 10 year old helmet (my missus has not ridden on the back for ages). Kept in it's bag inside in a dark room. She's worn it about 10 hours total.
There's no way I'd let her out with it now - except to ride to the nearest helmet shop.

I do not ride huge distances or ride that many hours yearly. Even so I am concious that after a while lids start to feel/look "used" - and in general that equates to about 4-5 years-ish.

And ime - what the lid is made of has no bearing at all on the aging process.

Who says it is 5 years? The companies that make and sell lids?

So the styrofoam lining, that has a half-life of 500 years to forever, breaks down in 5 when it is put next to my massive sweed?

Defo sounds like something the people selling the lids would say, says my sceptical side.

So the whole age/use/exposure chestnut.

A "guideline" is just that. And is just one.
The minute it starts to smell of, well, you: it is already starting to rot.
Washing linings only helps the soft lining. Not the harder impact lining.
Do use use non biological cleansers? - Do you use natural soaps? - Detergents contain salt.

tbh the proper measure is probably hours worn. With an "age" weighting.

But - somewhere we have a near mint 9 or 10 year old helmet (my missus has not ridden on the back for ages). Kept in it's bag inside in a dark room. She's worn it about 10 hours total.
There's no way I'd let her out with it now - except to ride to the nearest helmet shop.

I do not ride huge distances or ride that many hours yearly. Even so I am concious that after a while lids start to feel/look "used" - and in general that equates to about 4-5 years-ish.

And ime - what the lid is made of has no bearing at all on the aging process.
I just pull out the pads and throw em in with my underwear. Then put the rest of the lid in dishwasher. That cleans all them bugs off!

Back