Glasses and snowmobile helmet

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
I moved from Florida to Utah 2 years ago. Obviously, the winters are very different. I like to ride year round and the cold has been a big adjustment. I wear glasses and they fog up quickly when the temperatures are in the low 60's Fahrenheit or lower. Anti fog solutions do not work on my glasses due to the anti-reflective coatings. I have found that a snowmobile helmet with an electric shield has been very helpful. I purchased a HJC i90 Snow Davan helmet with the electric shield. Within 5-10 minutes of riding, the air in the helmet is warm enough that my lenses do not fog when I breathe out. The air flow is good enough when moving that the lenses begin to clear and as the air warms up, the fog goes away. I have not read of anyone using a snowmobile helmet for this purpose and wanted to pass this tip along.

I moved from Florida to Utah 2 years ago. Obviously, the winters are very different. I like to ride year round and the cold has been a big adjustment. I wear glasses and they fog up quickly when the temperatures are in the low 60's Fahrenheit or lower. Anti fog solutions do not work on my glasses due to the anti-reflective coatings. I have found that a snowmobile helmet with an electric shield has been very helpful. I purchased a HJC i90 Snow Davan helmet with the electric shield. Within 5-10 minutes of riding, the air in the helmet is warm enough that my lenses do not fog when I breathe out. The air flow is good enough when moving that the lenses begin to clear and as the air warms up, the fog goes away. I have not read of anyone using a snowmobile helmet for this purpose and wanted to pass this tip along.
Cool tip! Don't have a current need but interesting to know. Can I assume snowmobile helmets are safety rated just like motorcycle helmets? Last time I was on a snowmobile (mid-90's) helmets were not something one thought of...
-MIG

Cool tip! Don't have a current need but interesting to know. Can I assume snowmobile helmets are safety rated just like motorcycle helmets? Last time I was on a snowmobile (mid-90's) helmets were not something one thought of...
-MIG
I am not sure. The HJC i90 is DOT approved. I chose i90 because it is modular, is relatively inexpensive, has an electric shield, and is DOT approved.

doesn't pinlock help? I ride with glasses and have the pinlock installed, for the moment no problems. What is a Pinlock Visor insert? | Pinlock
The pinlock keeps the visor from fogging up but does not help with glasses fogging. In cool/cold weather, the cooler air causes the lenses of the glasses to be cool/cold. When exhaling, the moist warm air of the breath condenses on the lenses of the glasses. The electrically heated visor warms up the air in the helmet which warms up the lenses. As the lenses and air in the helmet get warmer, the fogging goes away.

Back