OK
1) YOU HAVE TO DETERMINE YOUR HEAD SIZE. This needs a "sewing" tape measure.
2) THEN DETERMINE YOUR HEAD SHAPE

Makes no point trying on an XL in one and M in another. Look for the biggest store in the area and just go and try every lid you can - even if you do not really like it - JUST TO GET WHICH LIDS FIT YOUR SIZE and SHAPE. Then look at webbikeworlds tables and see what helmets are in your shape - then go shopping.

It is a laborious process at the start - once you know your shape etc - future purchases get easier. I would suggest you try a CABERG (for their price range they are amongst the safest) but they do not ship to the US.

No, no. That’s what I did. The one brand runs small and the other runs big, so those two fit the same.

I just realized that sportbiketrackgear, whose site I’ve been looking at because they have a great selection, is only 20 mins from my house! o_O

So, I’m gonna try to get there today so I can try on more brands. Looking forward to it!

I've worn a passel of helmets since I started riding in 1969-70. Back then a Bell Star cost $80, and a BMW R/75/5 cost around $1500.00.

IMHO 'modulars' are a compromise and a testimonial to why KISS works even today in the 'age of information'. Even the brazenly pricey example's mechanisms will gum up, get sticky, go wrong or outright fail after a couple years or 20K+ miles. And a recent video I watched of the regaled Shoei Neo-Tech being subjected to a sharp blow to the chin-bar forever sullied my confidence in modular helmets.
I recently purchased an AGV AX-8 'Naked'. A full-face with a HUGE, non-claustrophobic(off-road/adventurer style) face port. Featherlight "laminate" shell construction, and first-rate 'venting'. $304.00 from Revzilla

Stay clear of 'polycarbonate' shell construction. It's a tough material, no doubt. And it is a less costly material(cheaper helmet price), but it DOES NOT absorb impact the same way nor as well as 'laminate' constructed shells. Polycarbonate is also a considerably 'HEAVIER' shell construction.

It is commonly advised to replace your helmet after 5 years due to degradation of inner, energy absorbing materials and such(it also stimulates more helmet sales). An $800 Schuberth or $1400.00 Bell Star Race-Pro will 'age-out' same as a $200 Scorpion or HJC. The rubber gasket around the face port and other 'bits' on a $450 Shark Evoline I once purchased began rotting and breaking off 3 years into ownership.

Find which brand configures to your head shape best. Seek a "laminate" shell construction rather than polycarbonate, and unless you're 'racing' or simply a profligate poser with money to burn there is little reason to spend more than $400.

I’ve had a couple of Arai’s, and crashed in one. Very well made, very comfortable. Not cheap. Not near your $800 limit, but still at the high end. Had an RX-Q, and a Corsair.

Next time I’m buying I want an Icon Airframe Pro. From what I’ve read, Icon wanted to mature their brand and lose the “decent but obnoxious” label, challenging themselves to make the best helmet for a normal (non-pro) rider. You can get a great helmet for $350, or a carbon for $600. Prices in the middle for their various colors.

See:

Scorpion Covert. Have it wrapped to match the color/pattern of your Rocket.

Scorpion Covert Solid Black 3 in 1 Helmet

My 3 cents, while the cost of the helmet does not necessarily reflect it's comfort or performance, it is the very last consideration for me. It's essentially the most important part of you. That being said, the hard part is finding a way to actually try them on. Most retailers cater to a only one or two brands and mail order returns are pretty iffy?:unsure:

?adw=PPC_Google_pla_a5978b11819f8ceb80bdcc4e4a02cdfb&gclid=CjwKCAiAu4nRBRBKEiwANms5W6VOVKrM6YxbxLJzadzbP8M8Y4D1RsRkiJwZpRS8mxAun0txSJiayRoCLYEQAvD_BwE?adw=PPC_Google_pla_a5978b11819f8ceb80bdcc4e4a02cdfb&gclid=CjwKCAiAu4nRBRBKEiwANms5W6VOVKrM6YxbxLJzadzbP8M8Y4D1RsRkiJwZpRS8mxAun0txSJiayRoCLYEQAvD_BwE

Ok, I need a helmet. Could there be any more choices out there?! I love the fact that I’m somehow supposed to know the shape of my head from an aerial view! My lovely wife says I’m an “intermediate oval” after her scientific examination of my melon.

So...I want a full face or modular helmet (really like the modulars). I want to protect my stunning jaw line - ok, not really - I just like my lower face and would feel safer having it protected.

I REALLY don’t want to spend $800 on a helmet. I REALLY don’t want to have an ugly helmet. I would REALLY like my helmet to be comfortable. I don’t feel like that is asking too much?!

I quite like the LS2 Metro in the “Rapid” white. The black and white would match my roadster. It’s aggressive looking and just doesn’t look like a helmet my father would wear. :cool: It looks as if the solid color model is about to be replaced by a newer version in a couple weeks, so I’m hoping the Metro Rapid graphic version will be updated, too.

ANYWAY...if you have any recommendations on helmets, please let me know! Oh, I quite like the retro Bell Bullitt, too, but every review basically says the same thing - “helmet looks awesome, but is not comfortable.” Bummer.

Recommend away!

Thanks, guys!

If weight was a consideration - It is FAR from being the lightest mass produced lid now. Just saying.

Slightly more than my Arai - pretty much the same ball-park. 3.59 vs 3.61lb. And, 3.37 for the carbon.

Not the lightest, but still a very compelling value.

Ok, folks. Once I realized sportbiketrackgear is only 30 mins from my house :banghead: I went today and tried on helmets. Out of everything I tried, the Shoei Qwest felt, by far, the best. The bummer is that it is an older helmet. You can still buy them (and at a pretty reasonable price) but I wonder if they’ll discontinue accessories for them? I wish they would sell the transitions shield for them, but they don’t. The only complaint I hear is that they get foggy, so you need the Pinlock, which is extra. There is no drop down internal visor, so I don’t know what it would be like to have just a clear shield - can you wear sunglasses with it?!

I thought I’d remedy all these issues by moving up to the GT Air, but it doesn’t fit quite the same as the Qwest. Nor does the RT-1200. Upon further research, it seems the Qwest is a little unique. I’m looking to see if anything else out there fits like it, but no luck so far.

So, right now, that’s my best bet. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else out there with a Qwest?!

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Keep trying. Nothing is worse on a long trip than a helmet that either does not fit or in some other way is uncomfortable (like you can't wear sunglasses). I use a photo-chromatic Pinlock and the internal sun visor.

Back