I love my Shoei RF-1100...fit and comfort works for ME! It is currently replaced by the RF-1200 which I plan on trying on and buying if I like the fit. That being said try on as many full face helmets as you can and see what feels right for YOU! Then shop the price.

Helmets are like women's shoes. You can never have too many.

Currently I am using an HJC IS Max 2 Modular. It is an OK helmet. I do love the inner sun visor. I think it is too noisy. I am going to order the chin shield and the pin lock shield for it over the winter.

I have often wondered about wearing a Snow helmet version in the winter. Any thoughts on that?

I also have a GMax GM 17 open face and a GMax 57 which I do not wear because it is the wrong head shape.

One other bit of advise. If you have a removable liner in your helmet baby shampoo works great for washing it. Get it wet. soap it up. rinse it out. let it air dry.

HJC IS-Max 2 Mine Helmet - RevZilla

German Helmet.jpg

I quite like the LS2 Metro in the “Rapid” white.

The LS2 Metro fall in between intermediate and long oval. I ordered one from revzilla.com to try out as there are conflicting reports on the interwebs about it's shape.

I had an HJC IS Max 2 modular, it was good with the inner visor and pinlock, but the visor mechanism broke. HJC gave me a prorated refund and I bought a Scorpion Exo-AT950... it is great and has speaker pockets for a bluetooth system. *Edit* Schuberth E1 would be my next choice for modular, but it is in the $800 range

Overall though, if you can't find a good shop locally to try on helmets, Revzilla has probably the best returns policy if you don't mind tying up some money testing helmets out.

I know my face shape, since I look at it in the mirror everyday, but since I don’t have the opportunity to look down on my head very often, I really don’t! I must be weird!

I meant to imply know which helmets that you have worn and then just find out which shape the best fitting helmets are/were.

I meant to imply know which helmets that you have worn and then just find out which shape the best fitting helmets are/were.

Haha! I wasn’t offended...just thought maybe I was the only one! Funny, I didn’t realize all this when I had my last helmet, so I truly have nothing to compare it to other than that. It was fine, but I wouldn’t say ultra-comfy. It was a Lazer Monaco.

Makes a lot of sense to go try a bunch on. I just need to find a shop that has a good selection!

Haha! I wasn’t offended...just thought maybe I was the only one! Funny, I didn’t realize all this when I had my last helmet, so I truly have nothing to compare it to other than that. It was fine, but I wouldn’t say ultra-comfy. It was a Lazer Monaco.

Makes a lot of sense to go try a bunch on. I just need to find a shop that has a good selection!

The Lazer Monaco is reported to be a "neutral" shape.
So, if it gave you hot spots front and/or rear, look for a "slightly narrow", "medium narrow" or "narrow".
If it was to tight on the sides, look for a "slightly round", "medium round" or "round".
If it fit great, look for another "neutral" shape helmet.
Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

I find that the Scorpions fit me best and I have three of them, full face flip up, half helmet and full face dual sport w/visor.

The LS2 Metro fall in between intermediate and long oval. I ordered one from revzilla.com to try out as there are conflicting reports on the interwebs about it's shape.

How did you like the Metro? How did you feel about the quality?

I wish I had experience riding with a $800 helmet v a $250 helmet. If they both have good safety ratings, I just have a hard time thinking about spending over 3x as much. I just don’t know what I don’t know, I guess.

Back