germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
Ok, I need a helmet. Could there be any more choices out there?! I love the fact that I’m somehow supposed to know the shape of my head from an aerial view! My lovely wife says I’m an “intermediate oval” after her scientific examination of my melon.

So...I want a full face or modular helmet (really like the modulars). I want to protect my stunning jaw line - ok, not really - I just like my lower face and would feel safer having it protected.

I REALLY don’t want to spend $800 on a helmet. I REALLY don’t want to have an ugly helmet. I would REALLY like my helmet to be comfortable. I don’t feel like that is asking too much?!

I quite like the LS2 Metro in the “Rapid” white. The black and white would match my roadster. It’s aggressive looking and just doesn’t look like a helmet my father would wear. :cool: It looks as if the solid color model is about to be replaced by a newer version in a couple weeks, so I’m hoping the Metro Rapid graphic version will be updated, too.

ANYWAY...if you have any recommendations on helmets, please let me know! Oh, I quite like the retro Bell Bullitt, too, but every review basically says the same thing - “helmet looks awesome, but is not comfortable.” Bummer.

Recommend away!

Thanks, guys!

You don't know yer head shape?
Which of your helmets so far has fit you best?
Then check its shape out with the link below from @barbagris.

Last edited:
This XLite X-551 saw me through a crash where my head hit the road at over 65mph a few times and all I ended up with was mild concussion......went straight out a bought another one. I wear it without the peak and it looks kinda streetfighterish. Good ventilation, very light and some cool colourways

maxresdefault.jpg

You don't know yer head shape?

I know my face shape, since I look at it in the mirror everyday, but since I don’t have the opportunity to look down on my head very often, I really don’t! I must be weird!

I have worn so many lids over the years and what the brothers above have stated rings true IMHO. As for my last three full face helmets, I can attest that the Shoie RF1000 is a great helmet to bang off a boulder and then pavement and finally a big rock sticking out of the ditch; (do all this within the span of say 2-3 seconds and about 150 feet of high mountain get-off). It held up quite well!
The Next was a Shoie RF1100, use it for sliding and rolling through the dew covered grass along side a wooded curve in the woods after meeting Bambi on said curve. It glides along the wet grass in a magnificent way that can only be described as smooth and precise.
These Shoie brain buckets can be a little pricey for some folks though...
Currently, I wear the Bilt Blaze. I bought it on my trip to Arizona when @TURBO200R4 allowed me to ride his R3C. I have found this helmet to be comfortable and the price is tough to beat at $119. I got mine for less at the Cycle Gear store than online.

Good luck in your search!

My 3 cents, while the cost of the helmet does not necessarily reflect it's comfort or performance, it is the very last consideration for me. It's essentially the most important part of you. That being said, the hard part is finding a way to actually try them on. Most retailers cater to a only one or two brands and mail order returns are pretty iffy?:unsure:

Back