The Lazer Monaco is reported to be a "neutral" shape.
So, if it gave you hot spots front and/or rear, look for a "slightly narrow", "medium narrow" or "narrow".
If it was to tight on the sides, look for a "slightly round", "medium round" or "round".
If it fit great, look for another "neutral" shape helmet.
Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

Great advice, thank you!

Here’s to hoping the one that fits isn’t the most expensive one! Sometimes seems like that’s the case! o_O

How did you like the Metro? How did you feel about the quality?

I wish I had experience riding with a $800 helmet v a $250 helmet. If they both have good safety ratings, I just have a hard time thinking about spending over 3x as much. I just don’t know what I don’t know, I guess.

It was a really nice helmet and I would have been extremely happy keeping it if it weren't a smidge too narrow.

I agree about the $800 helmet, my current Scorpion cost $290. Luckily it fits well and does what I need so I didn't spend the $800 >>> Scorpion EXO-AT950 Neocon Helmet - RevZilla

I am in process of dialing this helmet fit in as well. :confused:
Tis NOT an exact science! :rolleyes:
There are some crossovers like both my Bell Mag 9 and Schuberth M1.
They are both listed as "slightly narrow", yet after a few hours, the Bell Mag 9 gave me a sore hot spot on my forehead where the Schuberth M1 is much more comfy (I believe due to its higher quality) yet it does yield a little forehead discomfort after a long day. I do love the Schuberth, but really want to find a full face that fits well AND is not too confining.
My next lid will be a webbikeworld.com "NA" ("narrow") or a Revzilla "long oval" (same thing).
Perhaps an Arai Signet-X or Nexx XT1.

Here’s to hoping the one that fits isn’t the most expensive one! Sometimes seems like that’s the case! o_O

I believe improved fit, comfort & quietness is resultant from the additional improved design and higher quality materials.
Once I went to a top line helmet, I rapidly became spoiled and shall likely never go back to a sub $300 helmet.
The older I get the more important comfort seems to become. DUH!!! :roll:

Lazer Solano new old stock.

Silver reflective
Price:
EUR 79.00
Approximately US $93.62
LAZER SOLANO SUPERSKIN HYPER REFLEKTIVE GR M XL SILBER MATT HELM MOTORRADHELM | eBay

Matt Black
Price:
EUR 69.00
Approximately US $81.77
LAZER SOLANO SUPERSKIN SCHWARZ MATT GR S XS M XL HELM MOTORRADHELM QUALITÄT | eBay

These were a US$500 helmet when they were first released.

Very safe hi tech helmet with a flexible lubricated Superskin that covers helmet and can slip/flex on impact reducing brain injury.

@HansO had an open face Lazer Rider Superskin one on during his high speed writeoff and it did its job admirably.
Lazer Rider Superskin Helmet Review

These are now ridiculously cheap if you can find them. Here in Oz they are now going for just Au$79 (US$60) plus Au$18-Au$22.00 (US$15) postage in Oz.
JET PILOT STYLE HELMETS SUPERSKIN TECHNOLOGY AS1698 NEW BEST VALUE AVAILABLE | eBay
I have worn the open face too for 6000 miles and it is a very comfortable helmet. I also bought the one below dirt cheap from Austria or Germany. It is a totally reflective Silver Superskin version that is great for night time stand out. Can still possibly get in black as well.

Comes with free pinlock, breath guard and chin fairing, both of which I removed as I have a big face and full beard. I have a Shoei mid oval head.

Shell
  • I.M.A.C. injected - Impact Modified Alloy Composite
Security
  • PHPSTM - Phillips Head Protection System - Anti-Rotation
  • A special strong anti-rotation membrane / 8 times extensible
  • Fixed at the edges but lubricated with a special grease
  • Slides over the surface of the shell during the first 15 milliseconds after the impact
  • Imitates the natural movement of the skin over the skull
  • During an impact, the membrane, moving on the helmet, reduces rotational impact to the brain, and consequently the risk of brain haemorrhage
  • Compared to a conventional helmet, it reduces rotation up to 50% and increases the protection of your head and your brain by more than 67.5%
  • Automatic Quick release buckle
  • Anti-fog Pinlock® lens supplied
  • Scratch resistant visor
  • Wide peripheral vision
  • Neck reflective zone
  • EPS double density - Optimized upper insert protection
Interior/Comfort/Finishing
  • Front and chin ventilation
  • 100% removable and washable
  • Morpho System - Cheek and head pads available in your size
  • Quick release visor system
  • Comfortable fabric
  • Removable nose deflector and chin curtain
  • Removable peripheral visor seal
  • Helmet bag
  • +/- 1500 gr (L w/o Pinlock®)
  • ECE 22.05
UK and European Spec Helmet Conforms to ECE-22.05 - Road legal in UK and Europe

Different manufacturers have different sizing, so ordering one online is a crap shoot. If you do order one online, make sure you try on one in the brand and size you are buying. Always make sure and try a helmet on before buying! A helmet is the single most important piece of safety equipment you will invest in...however some only wear them to abide by state laws. If you are approaching this from the safety angle (as you should) then research the safety ratings of all manufacturers. Modular helmets are really nice because of their versatility, but because the jawbones are essentially a moving part, they tend to not perform as well in safety tests and noise reduction as solid full face helmets do. If you want a high quality helmet, but don't want to spend high-dollar, try finding a used one on eBay or Craig'slist....yes...you can find a high quality used helmet and not spend a fortune...I bought a Shoei Multi-tech in pristine condition used on the cheap simply because the guy who had it decided he only wanted a half or 3/4 helmet.
As far as sizing goes...a helmet is supposed to be snug and immovable once strapped on, but if your head feels like a grape about to burst after a few seconds, it is bound to become uncomfortable on a ride of any considerable distance.

@Ishrub The Superskin helmets haven’t been produced for awhile - do you think they are already “old” as far as aging materials are concerned? They seem to say five years is the life span of a helmet even if it hasn’t been hit or dropped. Thoughts?

@Maelstrom Ive though about used, too. Any concern of a helmet been “old” (see above) or damaged in a way that you can’t see? I would never sell a helmet that has been dropped or hit, but that doesn’t mean other people wouldn’t.

I guess I’m just trying to figure out if helmet could be damaged or and safe even if it looks OK.

I think if it has been boxed and stored in a store that sells lots of other Helmets like the Austrian/German web store there should not be a problem with the expanded foam hardening as they are not exposed to heat, air (other than the box), humidity etc. Mine both show no signs at all of hardening of the polystyrene expanded foam as seen with old used helmets.

I also registered the warranty period with the Lazer Helmets warranty website that requires a valid serial number and date code from the liner.

Warranty | Lazer Helmets - Protect your freedom
To be able to enjoy the 3-year guarantee extension, the buyer has to register his/her helmet within 15 days after the date of purchase. The registration of the helmet can only be made through the website www.lazerhelmets.com.

For the price I think they are great as a special use i.e. night riding or spare but I have been using my open face Lazer Ridere for the past year or so as my every-day despite have 10 others including a comfortable but noisy old Shoei X-11 and another new in box Lazer Rider put aside.;):D

Many unlike @Maelstrom would gasp but I too bought the Shoei X-11 in perfect boxed condition of a bloke who wore it twice and it gave him a headache due to wrong headshape. Au$65 won the eBay auction compared to about a $1000 new when he bought it.

Last edited:
Back