Mine both show no signs at all of hardening of the polystyrene expanded foam as seen with old used helmets.
ime This is NOT what rots first. Usually it's the soft foam used twixt fabric liner and Polystyrene. My missus almost never gets on the bike any more - and usually when she decides she wants to we find that the soft foam on her lid has perished - so we get a new lid and ......................................................

I have seen similar things with the spongy midsoles on shoes/boots. One day for no apparent reason it turns to powder.

ime This is NOT what rots first. Usually it's the soft foam used twixt fabric liner and Polystyrene. My missus almost never gets on the bike any more - and usually when she decides she wants to we find that the soft foam on her lid has perished - so we get a new lid and ......................................................

I have seen similar things with the spongy midsoles on shoes/boots. One day for no apparent reason it turns to powder.

No sign of this either.

OK. Finally got to a store and was able to try on an icon Airmada in an XL, which was very comfortable, although I don’t think I want a non-modular helmet. Also tried in a Shoei Neotec, which was fine, but not 3x more confoetable. Not even AS comfortable. Also tried the HJC IS-Max II, which was fairly comfortable in a Medium. Nothing blew me away. Would REALLY like to try on a Nolan and an LS2.

@germ79 you know the Chicago IMS show in February has a ton of helmets at great prices as well as ohhhhhhhh just about everything.

Ema and I will be there. We normally stay at the Hyatt at O'Hare. It is right across the street.

@germ79 you know the Chicago IMS show in February has a ton of helmets at great prices as well as ohhhhhhhh just about everything.

Ema and I will be there. We normally stay at the Hyatt at O'Hare. It is right across the street.

Oh, man...THAT would be fun! I want a helmet SO bad now so I can ride at least once (as it has been unseasonably warm here) BUT I know I should just take my time and gather all of these things over the winter - helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves. If I take my time I can probably find a great deal on them new for used.

Love the idea of the motorcycle show. Pretty good show?

OK. Finally got to a store and was able to try on an icon Airmada in an XL, which was very comfortable, although I don’t think I want a non-modular helmet. Also tried in a Shoei Neotec, which was fine, but not 3x more confoetable. Not even AS comfortable. Also tried the HJC IS-Max II, which was fairly comfortable in a Medium. Nothing blew me away. Would REALLY like to try on a Nolan and an LS2.
OK
1) YOU HAVE TO DETERMINE YOUR HEAD SIZE. This needs a "sewing" tape measure.
2) THEN DETERMINE YOUR HEAD SHAPE

Makes no point trying on an XL in one and M in another. Look for the biggest store in the area and just go and try every lid you can - even if you do not really like it - JUST TO GET WHICH LIDS FIT YOUR SIZE and SHAPE. Then look at webbikeworlds tables and see what helmets are in your shape - then go shopping.

It is a laborious process at the start - once you know your shape etc - future purchases get easier. I would suggest you try a CABERG (for their price range they are amongst the safest) but they do not ship to the US.

Back