I use a combination of heated gloves (Gerbing) and hand deflectors. The deflectors are clear. Got them from Cruiser Customizing for $80.99. The closest match to fit R3 Classic was listed for VTX 1800. Had to reconfigure mount brackets to fit. This was done with a vice, large pliers and large hammer but turned out great. I think they look good on the R3 and leave them on all year. They do a nice job of blocking the wind when adjusted right. Combined with heated gloves do a good job of keeping hands toasty.

I have installed heated grips on many motorcycles and quads I have owned over the years. I always just get the little kit...costs about $25 for the heating elements, wiring and temperature dial. You can install them in just a few minutes if you know the tricks....Blow compressed air down inside the stock grip. The air will puff up the stock grip and let you pull the off very easily. Lay the new heating element on the bars/throttle. The have a sticky back to hold them in place. Spray the inside of the stock grips (or aftermarket grips if you are changing them out) with the adhesive spray. Quickly slide the grips back on...this is the hardest part of the entire job as the grips tend to want to twist a big which makes the finish job look bad. Let the adhesive set up while you run you wires and switch. Be sure you get the kit with the variable settings...some of the cheaper ones just have a high/low setting. I have used this style of heated grips on my quad in -30 C and my hands were totally warm (I did have snowmobile gloves on too) Enjoy the warm hands.

Back