TheMadScientist

Supercharged
I am thinking of adding heated grips and once again I would like to benefit from the experience of the members.

I have heard some negative things about heated grips. I guess they tend to break at tab. This seems reasonable because of the thermal cycles of heating and expanding then cooling then shrinking.

I searched for old threads and this seemed to be a problem.

Can anyone recommend a brand or type of heater?

I will ride even in the rain or cold. I need to equip my Rocket to make it more comfortable. My bones can't handle the cold like they use to.

Your comments are appreciated.

Personally I would buy a nice set of heated gloves
My wife bought me a set by thermo dynamics that are powered by lithium ion rechargeable battery's that are nice and toasty
Three heat settings
They heat the whole hand also not just the palms

I have the triumph heated grips that I bought used from a member here. 15k mi. and no issues. So not all of them break. I also have some heated gloves because it seems at 15-20f and less than stellar circulation in my hands there is no concern with overheating the fingers.

My advice if u have a r3t I would look into aftermarket grips I do not recommend the triumph heated grips for the r3t or go with heated gloves they work good
As far as I know there is no problems with the standard or classic
I was replacing mine once a year u have a 1 year warranty on them

I've had two experiences of aftermarket grips being fitted by 'professionals" where the adhesive let go.

Picture coming down a windy mountain in the dark on a 400kg motorbike with the grips slowly sliding off the bars...

The first time it was because they used lock tite rather than the supplied adhesive. Apparently lock tite isn't heat resistant....derrr....the apprentice didn't know apparently.

The second time I was too disgusted to ask why it happened.

Apparently if you just can't bring yourself to use the adhesive supplied with the grips, superglue works.

Apart from that, my aftermarket grips work fine and I wouldn't be without them.

I am thinking of adding heated grips and once again I would like to benefit from the experience of the members.

I have heard some negative things about heated grips. I guess they tend to break at tab. This seems reasonable because of the thermal cycles of heating and expanding then cooling then shrinking.

I searched for old threads and this seemed to be a problem.

Can anyone recommend a brand or type of heater?

I will ride even in the rain or cold. I need to equip my Rocket to make it more comfortable. My bones can't handle the cold like they use to.

Your comments are appreciated.

Triumph's Heated Grips are Junk

Triunphs Heated Grips are junk. Mine broke at the throttle cable connection with less than 1400 miles on the bike.:mad:

I do not recommend them... I put Avon grips on my bike now...they also make heated grips..

90,000 miles with Triumph heated grips and they have worked well. However, Gerbing heated gloves are a great way to go as well. I use both.

Another alternative, although they are as ugly as sin, is Hippo Hands. With them, heated grips, and summer gloves, you can ride comfortably down to 15F. I don't know about how much lower than that you can go because it hasn't been colder than that around here in the last few years.

I just had my R3T Triumph heated grips replaced about a month ago. They broke just after MV. Now I am hesitant to even turn them on. Would hate to be on a long trip and end up days getting a new throttle cable.
I am getting some Gerbing heated gear before I go to Texas.

I use muffs on my ski doo, makes a huge difference in keeping your hands warm in minus zero on the snowmobile. They are definitely not a fashion statement:)

Heat demons for Harleys, (left side) fit our bikes The adaptor kit with what replaces the clutch perch fits. Clean look, and look awesome.. Thanks my HD friends for the R&D on this project!!!:D

I have the "Heat Demon" internal (inside bar) heated grips but you will have to use something like ISO grips and do a couple of mods they work well:D
don't be tempted to buy the Heat Demon under grip heat pads as you can not believe me can not get them under the std or ISO grips I had to buy a new set of grips after a frustrating two days of trying everything I rang Heat Demon and I explained the trouble they were very apologetic and sent me the internal heat pads.

The mod you need to make is to remove the bar end mounts from your std bars this can be done with a drill and a 6mm drill bit to drill out the punch in's and spot welds this will make the right side a bit short but if you have as I did a 1 inch bar you can cut a piece of to match the length you need and weld it on the end of bar after careful alignment :)

Back