hauling a rocket via pickup?

I wouldn't at all be concerned about the ability of a Ford F250, or any full size pickup's ability to accommodate the load. I've hauled every size bike in the back of a pickup from old Triumph twins to a Harley Electra Glide.

I just tried without success to find the pic of one of our members, Elcanaco, off loading his Ultra from his Chevy half ton in my driveway. Gord probable stands 5ft 6 inches and weighs in at about 160 pounds.

The ramp is the key and if you don't have access to a good set of motorcycle ramps, I wouldn't even try it. I have three part, 10 ft arched, folding MC ramps that I put in the back of the pickup with the bike to use at my destination. I ride the bike up the ramps into a Condor, or other suitable chock such as a Pingle, and then back the bike down with my hand on the front brake. A spotter at the bottom is important to helping keep the bike centered on the ramp. It also helps if you can find a high spot of ground on which to set the foot of the ramps.

With the above said, I don't do it anymore. At my age everything seems riskier.

On the trailer, U Haul has two suitable trailers. One is actually designated a bike trailer while the larger one an open cargo trailer. The latter has a cutout in the front for a motorcycle wheel. It has many tie down points an an excellent ramp. It was actually cheaper to rent than the MC trailer. Had pic of it with my Rocket in the trailer and my VStrom DL1000 in the back of my Titan pickup, taken when I hauled both down to Monterey, CA to give to my son.

I wouldn't at all be concerned about the ability of a Ford F250, or any full size pickup's ability to accommodate the load. I've hauled every size bike in the back of a pickup from old Triumph twins to a Harley Electra Glide.

I just tried without success to find the pic of one of our members, Elcanaco, off loading his Ultra from his Chevy half ton in my driveway. Gord probable stands 5ft 6 inches and weighs in at about 160 pounds.

The ramp is the key and if you don't have access to a good set of motorcycle ramps, I wouldn't even try it. I have three part, 10 ft arched, folding MC ramps that I put in the back of the pickup with the bike to use at my destination. I ride the bike up the ramps into a Condor, or other suitable chock such as a Pingle, and then back the bike down with my hand on the front brake. A spotter at the bottom is important to helping keep the bike centered on the ramp. It also helps if you can find a high spot of ground on which to set the foot of the ramps.

With the above said, I don't do it anymore. At my age everything seems riskier.

On the trailer, U Haul has two suitable trailers. One is actually designated a bike trailer while the larger one an open cargo trailer. The latter has a cutout in the front for a motorcycle wheel. It has many tie down points an an excellent ramp. It was actually cheaper to rent than the MC trailer. Had pic of it with my Rocket in the trailer and my VStrom DL1000 in the back of my Titan pickup, taken when I hauled both down to Monterey, CA to give to my son.

I posted a pic on this thread about carrying a( yellow) rocket in the box of my pick up and like you wrote... long solid ramp a must along with ways to lock it up in position however I did not like motoring up so I used a winch with a remote , sat and paddled my feet up the ramp, could stop anytime in case of doubts as the winch kept the line taut then resume till the front wheel got into the front chock but that ramp got heavier as the time passe so I got a 2horse trailer called bumper puller perfect for the rocket
low floor dual axles fully enclosed not too heavy and mostly cheap and after some mod ( I posted that picture as well )I think it is the best compromise .. I am trailering from canada to mexico this coming january and it is snowing here as I type so trailering is my only option

Any modern pickup can handle a Rocket with no problem, the truck is getting it in. As pointed out a good (long ) ramp or a loader is the secret. In the past I've loaded lots of lighter bikes using a ramp, but with an arthritic hip that's out. I don't want a trailer so I use a loader. Easy 1 person job to load or unload. Figure out what's best for you and do that.

I loaded and unloaded one time with ramps. Backed the truck up to a hill both ways to lessen the ramp angle...next time I’ll go with a trailer. It can get a little hairy! Good luck.

should last all winter when my father in law comes down for the winter we go through at least 3 ton a winter but docs say the altitude change and traveling is to hard on him anymore
Just had 9 tonnes of Evergreen-Oak delivered. Should do us 2 years.

Planning to haul my bike back to SC and I wonder if anyone has advice on hauling it in the back of a pickup using ramps. My truck is a F250 7.3 so it will haul about anything. Just worried about getting it into and out of the bed.

bike is 9 ft tire to tail light. 9 or 10 ft ramp to clear motor ($100-300 depending on wight) ++ I mounted a bar across front panel of pickup with an 8 ft box mounted an ATV winch to the bar (from harbor freight $45.00) has a remote control and walks in or out with one person. length and width of ramp for room to walk up with it.

Back