hauling a rocket via pickup?

No way would I load this huge of a motor into a pickup! 800+ pounds on and rear of the axle seems dangerous to me.
A nice Lightweight trailer with along, wide easy slope to load the motor is the best option in my opinion and what I use.

Not an issue. That is a Ram 1500 3.0 Diesel, it is rated at 1,880# payload and rear axle is rated at 3900#. That set up has gone to Michigan twice, Florida once a few shorter trips with no issues. If your running a 3/4 or 1 ton even easier. It's almost as fast to put bike in bed of truck as it is to put on a trailer, with out hassle of trailer.

Planning to haul my bike back to SC and I wonder if anyone has advice on hauling it in the back of a pickup using ramps. My truck is a F250 7.3 so it will haul about anything. Just worried about getting it into and out of the bed.

dodah man I used to carry my bike on my f150 7 foot box for that I had a ramp made out of steel in two parts 5 feet long each the (longer the better ) and 36 inch wide plus a winch mounted on a rail snucked between the rear window and the front of the box and naturally a remote control I rode the bike kept the bike in gear and held the clutch pulled in just in case if something goes wrong you let go lever bike does not go back down and you grab both hand grip and plant your feet flat on the ramp ( never had that happen to me in about 12 ups and down ) . if you want to see the ramp setup go to "castanet kelowna " in truck ramp for sale you will see clearly what it looks like the whole thing is feasible but require time patience and good preparation
IMG_0753.JPG

Last edited:

I quit using ramps and bought a lift. I can load a bike in about 5 minutes with no help. If your using ramps be sure they are long enough you don't high side on the breakover, that is when most people drop their bike.

Wow...and on a short box no less. I have a cargo trailer I store and can trailer my bike in. All setup with chocks and tie downs. That's looks pretty cool as well. I wonder how well the lift would set over my 5th wheel rails. Does the front wheel set in a chock? Chevy 2500HD 6.0 liter 4:10 gearing with a 6.6 bed. I pull an 8500 lb. 5th wheel as well. It does well, but I do miss my old 2500 Duramax Diesel on the hills.

Wow...and on a short box no less. I have a cargo trailer I store and can trailer my bike in. All setup with chocks and tie downs. That's looks pretty cool as well. I wonder how well the lift would set over my 5th wheel rails. Does the front wheel set in a chock? Chevy 2500HD 6.0 liter 4:10 gearing with a 6.6 bed. I pull an 8500 lb. 5th wheel as well. It does well, but I do miss my old 2500 Duramax Diesel on the hills.

In the builders personal truck he has a set up that clears his 5th wheel. Front wheel is set into a chock while on ground, that is what winch pulls on to load. Once in box add tie downs to bed front and rear. Check his web site. He built one for an over the road trucker that loads a smart car crosswise between cab and 5th wheel

Last edited:
I have a 7.3 F250 pickup.
It's a steep ride up ramps to the bed for the 700+ lb. rocket.
Get the uhaul and a bike stand plus tie downs and save yourself some scary grief ;-)

Back