Fuel Gauge and possible speedo issues R3T

Comotion

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 Touring
I bought a used, 2011 R3T with 4100 miles on it. After the first week, the speedo didn't work the first few minutes of the ride, and then it started working again, and has been fine ever since. It has never "swept" when turning on the ignition.

I couple of weeks ago I changed bars, which for purposes I won't get into, required unplugging the speedo/gauges and lifting the tank. The fuel gauge has now dropped to zero, miles to empty is zero, but the low fuel light isn't lit. The tank is full of fuel.

Lastly, the bike does have aftermarket pipes that I have no info on.

Does the bike need an ECU flash? Perhaps the connector to the gauges is broken or not plugged in properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i have read on this site that sometimes after a fill up u have to ride a while before it reads correct.
if the fuel light is not on the ecu is more than likely getting the correct signal. hth

about the sweeping i think u might need the tunecu set up to monitor the ecu. usually when that happens u have other probs to go along with that so u may wind up with more problems.
DEcosse would be the man to help u. he may show up in a while. sounds like an interesting prob.
all i know is that the ecu sends a signal to check these items(rpm & speedo oil & nuetral lights ect. i am supprized that it does not set codes but may be does and not turn on the check engine light.

I don't believe that the speedometer sweeps on start up mine doesn't as for the fuel gauge goes ride the bike for awhile and it should start to read the amount of fuel in your tank I have had that experience with the fuel gauge on my bike

I don't believe that the speedometer sweeps on start up mine doesn't as for the fuel gauge goes ride the bike for awhile and it should start to read the amount of fuel in your tank I have had that experience with the fuel gauge on my bike

+1

My speedo has never swept.

The gas empty light should be quick to update - ie. fill it with fuel and it goes off immediately. However it takes a while (several minutes) for the gauge to register the new fuel, so don't freak out. Just ride for 5 mins and check it.

My speedo has never swept.

The gas empty light should be quick to update - ie. fill it with fuel and it goes off immediately. However it takes a while (several minutes) for the gauge to register the new fuel, so don't freak out. Just ride for 5 mins and check it.

Thank you, but I've ridden it for a couple of hours, and the fuel gauge still doesn't work. I filled the tank with about 1/8 of a tank, the light went away, but the gauge continued to drop all the way to empty and it will no longer register anything at all.

I filled the tank with about 1/8 of a tank, the light went away, but the gauge continued to drop all the way to empty and it will no longer register anything at all.[/QUOTE]

DOES THat mean almost to the top? did u fill it up? if not then fill to spacer ring and try that.

I filled the tank with about 1/8 of a tank, the light went away, but the gauge continued to drop all the way to empty and it will no longer register anything at all.

DOES THat mean almost to the top? did u fill it up? if not then fill to spacer ring and try that.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my comment was not very clear. After changing the bars (and removing the gauges on the tank in the process), I had about 1/8 of a tank of fuel. I filled the tank all the way to the top, left the station, and rode home about 30 minutes. The gauge only dropped. I have ridden it enough to have to fill it again, and the gauge is still on empy.

so the tourings did not sweep u guys got $drewed:laugh::laugh::laugh:
i would take it back and tell them i wanted it to sweep:laugh:

Back