R3T Floorboards Have To Go!

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I haven't made a post in awhile highlighting my latest project idea, so here it goes.

Have you ever notice how big and in the way the floorboards are on the R3T. I can barely get my legs out past them to get my feet on the ground when stopping. They are so long, wide and in the way it is hard to get into a supportive stance when trying to stop the beast. It seems my feet are always out of position trying to avoid the floorboards. The whole setup is just awkward in my opinion, overkill and needs a fix. Any opinions and thoughts on Triumphs boards?

Anyway, I have decide I needed to do something about it if I am going to continue to ride my bike. I have looked for a ready made floorboard solution that would work, but none will really work or allow for mounting correctly. Here are some pictures of a much smaller yet more than ample floorboard I have designed. The pictures are of a plywood mockup of my design. I mounted them to the Rocket to make sure the floorboard and mounts would work on the existing fitment. What a welcome difference in size!

The aluminum mounts that the pin passes through, were screwed to the plywood design and will ultimately be attach in the same way. I may also have them TIG welded in their mounted position just in case. The floorboard sets perfectly level as mounted, but a couple set screws positioned in the floorboards over the fitment resting points would allow for some fine tweaking. I plan to have the floorboards cut from either 3/8" or 1/2" thick aluminum plate. I will finish them off with some rubber matting on top as well as maybe have them powder coated black. I have checked with one company, so far, who will custom cut my floorboards for a price. I may opt to do the work and cut them myself.

Next up after this is...I'm thinking a steering damper.

Attachments

• 20230928_141918.jpg
    20230928_141918.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230928_141559.jpg
    20230928_141559.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230928_142222.jpg
    20230928_142222.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230928_151740.jpg
    20230928_151740.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230928_141843.jpg
    20230928_141843.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 25
Great layout.....@kevin frazier did hang a steering damper.....on a touring with good result
Thanks....I did look at that. but he took the fork tube covers off to do it. I haven't seen any body's solution with the covers still on. The tubes are tapered, but there is a 3 inch diameter lower section. I would have to make a custom clamp.

I thought I would do an update. I found some 3/8 inch plate locally and decided to cut them out myself. Actually, they cut easier than I thought. I was a little concerned about my band saw blade loading up as aluminum can do that. I have done some sanding and put a radius around the edges. Now I'm just waiting on some 1/2 x 1 inch bar stock to make the brackets that hold them on. I'm going to do one more mockup before I drill the holes as I have changed a few hole placement positions. I also found some nice rubber gasket material for gluing on top when I'm done.

Attachments

• 20230930_132334.jpg
    20230930_132334.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 11
This is my last update. I have a few more tweaks...mainly some sanding, finish work and then mounting the top rubber as the last thing.

● I made the new brackets out of some 1" X 1/2" X 2 1/2" long aluminum,.
● I slightly repositioned and enlarged the pin holes in my brackets for some 5/16" plastic bushings.
● I drilled a hole and cut a slot for the springs that triumph uses for spring loading the floorboards. The spring loading works just like original.
● I cut some 1/4 rubber for gluing on the top of the floorboards. (Note: The two holes in the rubber are for adjusting the set screw to set the angle/level of the floorboards.) I wanted to adjust from the top side down. Actually, they set close to perfect without the set screws.

Needles to say, I love the size of my new smaller floorboards. I went on a 4 hour trip last week and they worked great. They look really nice on the bike and are more than big enough. Anyway, that's about it for this mod. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20231007_155151.jpg
    20231007_155151.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231007_155344.jpg
    20231007_155344.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231007_162755.jpg
    20231007_162755.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231007_162315.jpg
    20231007_162315.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231007_162401.jpg
    20231007_162401.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 20
I've been thinking the same thing about the floorboards on my 2011 Touring. It's not really the appearance of the size overkill that bothers me, but it decreases potential lean angle. Making them a little narrower gives you a little more lean before scraping. Great idea and nice fab work! Want to make a another set? :)

I haven't made a post in awhile highlighting my latest project idea, so here it goes.

Have you ever notice how big and in the way the floorboards are on the R3T. I can barely get my legs out past them to get my feet on the ground when stopping. They are so long, wide and in the way it is hard to get into a supportive stance when trying to stop the beast. It seems my feet are always out of position trying to avoid the floorboards. The whole setup is just awkward in my opinion, overkill and needs a fix. Any opinions and thoughts on Triumphs boards?

Anyway, I have decide I needed to do something about it if I am going to continue to ride my bike. I have looked for a ready made floorboard solution that would work, but none will really work or allow for mounting correctly. Here are some pictures of a much smaller yet more than ample floorboard I have designed. The pictures are of a plywood mockup of my design. I mounted them to the Rocket to make sure the floorboard and mounts would work on the existing fitment. What a welcome difference in size!

The aluminum mounts that the pin passes through, were screwed to the plywood design and will ultimately be attach in the same way. I may also have them TIG welded in their mounted position just in case. The floorboard sets perfectly level as mounted, but a couple set screws positioned in the floorboards over the fitment resting points would allow for some fine tweaking. I plan to have the floorboards cut from either 3/8" or 1/2" thick aluminum plate. I will finish them off with some rubber matting on top as well as maybe have them powder coated black. I have checked with one company, so far, who will custom cut my floorboards for a price. I may opt to do the work and cut them myself.

Next up after this is...I'm thinking a steering damper.
I have a 05 and have had same problem., thought it was just me. I was thinking of removing rubber cover and cutting the pedal down, then reinstalling it. Will look into it during winter maintenance. Dropped bike because of this, luckily didn't cause any damage.

Back