Free unrestricted maps for Rocket R GT and TFC now online

Sorry but I'll probably have some dumb questions myself, where do we find these maps, in particular the unrestricted map for a '20 rocket 3 R? I've never used tune ecu before and I've got to admit I'm more than a bit excited from what I'm hearing. Side note I'm from down under if that has any bearing on things. Cheers guys
If you’re from Australia one must install backwards and reversed. I am just kidding. TuneECU was a bit of a headache when they took it off Google Play store. I hear it’s easier now (no more registration hurdles). 1) get a compatible android device. I used a cheap tablet my daughter got for Covid school. 2) download Tune ECU from the Google Play store to the Android device. 3) Go to TuneECU Facebook page or TuneECU.net to get the 10,000’ view of what you’re about to do—this will help to read about all the steps and hardware you need BEFORE you start 4) follow their instructions for downloading the region specific map for your bike (use the free Penner tune but make sure you get the region that corresponds to your bike or use the DNK tune by purchasing from them but make sure you specify not only on order but also via email correspondence with them the REGION of your map). Use TuneECU.net for getting the correct OBD Link tool I used the LX from Amazon for $50 US it worked perfectly first time with the Samsung Galaxy tablet mentioned above via Bluetooth connection 5) load the downloaded map from step 4 into TuneECU and connect OBD Link to bike. Now precisely follow steps as given on TuneECU.net under the “connect” heading. Your tablet will load the tune you downloaded earlier onto the bike. It takes about 12-15m. If you read up about all the steps and write them down so they make sense to you I don’t feel the process is complicated. If you get an error during transfer do not panic. TuneECU will allow you to restore if the transfer is not successful. Make sure that you have followed all the steps. Pull the fuse for your headlights to greatly reduce battery drain. The transfer can fail if voltage to ECU on the bike drops a lot. You should connect a battery CHARGER to your bike battery and make sure it’s all juiced up prior to starting any transfer. I used the Battery Tender and didn’t start until the green light was steady indicating battery was at full float voltage and kept it connected the whole time. Make sure your tablet is fully charged as if it dies in the middle that will cause issues and make you stressed out. Once I had all the steps written out, and was sure I had the correct tools (Android tablet, registered and working TuneECU app, OBDLX, battery CHARGER for bike battery) I was pretty confident in getting the map loaded. After the first time doing it you will see that although intimidating at the outset it’s well worth your time. I went from 140ish to 171 rwhp with the DNK tune and the slip on pipe. I spent about $1,500 and three hours of my time. That’s a real good ROI in the motorcycle world if you ask me. Let me know if you have any more questions happy to help.

Penners is a star!
Nope 147mph isnt when i am at the TT or touring through Germany on the autobahns:) Particularly when i am trying to keep up with my mate on his BMW S1000r. And besides it should be my choice i paid for the bike!
How does a remapped Rocket compare to your friends S1000R? Just out of curiousity?

How does a remapped Rocket compare to your friends S1000R? Just out of curiousity?
I own a tuned Rocket and a Rapid Bike fueled s1000rr (not the single r) with a full race exhaust. The BMW is truly terrifying and intoxicating. It’s otherworldly in terms of speed above 8,000rpm to the 14,200 redline. Around town it is twitchy and uncomfortable. On the open road and the mountain passes it is just an absolute riot. The Triumph is fun everywhere. It’s comfortable, stable, smooth and the most effortless acceleration this side of a Tesla. I can’t say I love one bike more than the other. I can tell you the BMW really is scary while the Triumph is just super super fun and a joy to live with. I like scary. But not every day. I could compare the bikes to bipolar supermodels and dream-wives who will take care of you and keep you alive and smiling, but I won’t.

Last edited:
You'll first need one of these.

You'll also need the Tune ECU app for it. The maps can be found here.
Be really careful to select the one that matches your motorcycle/vin. There are differences for years and region.
TUNE ECU OBD2 Wireless Bluetooth V1.5 Reader
Is that going to do the job for me? I've got the app on my phone, I just hadn't looked right into it yet.

I own a tuned Rocket and a Rapid Bike fueled s1000rr (not the single r) with a full race exhaust. The BMW is truly terrifying and intoxicating. It’s otherworldly in terms of speed above 8,000rpm to the 14,200 redline. Around town it is twitchy and uncomfortable. On the open road and the mountain passes it is just an absolute riot. The Triumph is fun everywhere. It’s comfortable, stable, smooth and the most effortless acceleration this side of a Tesla. I can’t say I love one bike more than the other. I can tell you the BMW really is scary while the Triumph is just super super fun. I like scary. But not every day. I could

I own a tuned Rocket and a Rapid Bike fueled s1000rr (not the single r) with a full race exhaust. The BMW is truly terrifying and intoxicating. It’s otherworldly in terms of speed above 8,000rpm to the 14,200 redline. Around town it is twitchy and uncomfortable. On the open road and the mountain passes it is just an absolute riot. The Triumph is fun everywhere. It’s comfortable, stable, smooth and the most effortless acceleration this side of a Tesla. I can’t say I love one bike more than the other. I can tell you the BMW really is scary while the Triumph is just super super fun. I like scary. But not every day. I could compare the bikes to bipolar supermodels and dream-wives who will take care of you and keep you alive and smiling, but I won’t.
Some things just don't compare. You are right. They are two totally different bikes, both fun in their own ways and obviously there's no perfect one just like there's no such thing as the perfect wife

I am willing to bet that will work if that's one that TuneECU recommends on TuneECU.net...I can't say for sure that it will as I have not used it. If you're on Facebook there are lots of helpful people on there you can pose that question to someone who has used that one. But each make and model of bike has little quirks and with about ten trillion permutations of bike x tablet x ECU tool you can never be totally sure. Some guys have even had trouble with the same bike/tools that have worked for others. If that one does not work you should be able to return and go another route. Everyone I have read about that used the OBDLX or MX has had sucess. So that's what I have recommended to others.

Will the unrestricted tfc map work on the GT ?
Yes. But I think even the TFC is tuned to meet certain strict emission goals in EU and elsewhere. I think Penner map is better from a purely HP perspective and the bike runs better (not so lean). He wasn’t trying to meet emissions standards! He was going for power and A/F ideals. And there are dynos to show that.

Last edited:
Back