Forgot the Lemon Pledge

The Rocket X is straight black but the trim running from the front fender gas tank and back fender is special. Truimph used a hand held grinder and actually swirled the base metal and then buffed the swirled marks out until they shined. Then it got a shot of lacquer buffed again and then clear coated. Truly a one of a kind. even the triumph logo is done in this fashion on the tank. No two are alike out of the 500 because it was all done by hand.

Last edited:
August 5, 2015 I phone 179.JPG
No kit needed. Remove the brackets, add a couple of homemade brackets under the fender struts for the new lights, ( lights KandStech.com) and the plate bracket and holder can be purchase at any bike parts place Gasbox 3/4" Axle Mount License Plate Bracket. Mine was CNCed and led lights installed.
August 8-15 041.JPG

Thanks for the tip, but I want a center mounted plate, not on the side where it will get in the way.:thumbsup:

Sonny, I was looking at an X at the local dealer last year & I thought I remembered it having a real fine mica (very small metallic) of blue, silver, ect - Is your's that way, can't really see it in the photos?
I assumed ALL of the X's would be the same.......... Or did you just "too much elbow grease" all the mica out of it????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am not sure about the X, but I have a 2011 R3R in Phantom Black and it has a blue pearl and a medium silver metallic in it. So if it is the same color code you nailed it. Good color eye you have.

Hmmm. I may be wrong, the X may just have micro silver metallic????

No, I think you are correct. The Phantom Black (PR) is the only gloss black for the Rockets. The Matte (PQ) is the other black.

The Rocket X is Jet Black while the other Roadsters come in Phantom Black (and Matt Black of course). Jet Black is just that - all black. Phantom Black has the flecks.
I much prefer Jet Black over Phantom Black - it's a truer "colour".

The Rocket X is straight black but the trim running from the front fender gas tank and back fender is special. Truimph used a hand held grinder and actually swirled the base metal and then buffed the swirled marks out until they shined. Then it got a shot of lacquer buffed again and then clear coated. Truly a one of a kind. even the triumph logo is done in this fashion on the tank. No two are alike out of the 500 because it was all done by hand.

Oh yeah, I remember that now. I knew it had a very unique finish. that's a really cool process. a candy red would look cool done over the metal grind but if left uncovered outside it would fade & look like crap. they made the right choice, the straight clear over "metal grind" makes it look like no other Rocket. beautiful :thumbsup: :inlove

Last edited:
You can see the effect in your photos clearly, I overlooked the stripes as I was looking for the mica fleck in the black :sleep: :sleep: :banghead:

The Rocket X is Jet Black while the other Roadsters come in Phantom Black (and Matt Black of course). Jet Black is just that - all black. Phantom Black has the flecks.

Yea, due to the fact that all of the other colors (including white) have many different shade variations of their respective colors, Someone thought it would be a good idea to make different "effects" of black since there is no variation in shades. So they came up with the matte and mica/flecks in the black (or just in the clear coat on some variations) to change it up a little. But like you, I prefer the standard gloss black with lots of depth from clear coat. it's a classic look.............. Does that mean we are getting old? :eek: :coffee: :thumbsup:

It is a great looking factory paint scheme.

The X is in a class by itself for paint. It must use the same paint code as the Bonneville. When looking up the Rocket the only two are the Touring and the Roadster for color code.

Back