Well dreaded reality has sunken in. My problem is the floppy shifter isn't changing the gears while flopping, it's just flopping around. Guess the gear change actuator bolt came out or broke. Looks like my Thanksgiving will be dropping the turkey out of the frame and splitting the turkey. Anyone have experience doing this repair? Any short cuts, hints and tips?
There is no real short cuts just follow the manual. If you can run a hoist over the bike its easier.

2011_0903_202705.JPG

Looking at this picture makes me want to put the lotion on my skin so I don't get the hose again.
It's really an easier job to do when is what it looks like in the manual. This was the first motorcycle engine I have ever pulled and worked on. The key is don't rush yourself .

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed things as I've started disassembling it, looks like someone has split the case before. Bolt heads with socket marks, extra bolts found loose in nooks and crannies. I'm crossing my fingers that all the updates have already been performed. That alone would be a world of worry off my mind. I love forums such as this one, but holy cow, it can make a man paranoid and lose sleep too! I've had the clutch cover off a couple of times and never paid attention to the selector wheel and that thingamajig that could be a solid wheel if old style or bearing if updated. Once i get the cover off again, I'm hoping for updated parts. I really want, for my own satisfaction, and sanity, to get my Rocket back on the road again. I've have resorted to riding a 2017 Dyna with all kinds of custom power adding upgrades from the dealer. It still in no way compares. Plus, 1500 miles and leaking already?! Please Rocket gods...be good to me!

Back