DQDude

.040 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III
2006 Classic, stuck in traffic, stop and go, green light, go to up shift and nothing, had to look down to make sure I'v got my heel on the shifter and yep, sure do. Toe part is standing almost straight up. I pull into a gas station and yep...shifter goes up and down like its not connected to anything. So...any suggestions? I've read about transmissons popping out of 2nd gear, and huge transmission issues related to that, but nope, hadn't have had that happen. I purchased this bike 2 months ago, put on about 6k miles on it. Anyone, anything? Please be a broken detent spring!

May well be the detent spring, but look at the linkage that the shifter connects to. You will notice that the shifter does not go directly into the side of the engine as you see on some other bikes. Instead you are moving a six inch or so black or chrome rod, that connects to the actual bellcrank that goes into the block. The color of the rod should I think match the color of the engine...black engine, black rod. Silver engine, chrome rod.

Well dreaded reality has sunken in. My problem is the floppy shifter isn't changing the gears while flopping, it's just flopping around. Guess the gear change actuator bolt came out or broke. Looks like my Thanksgiving will be dropping the turkey out of the frame and splitting the turkey. Anyone have experience doing this repair? Any short cuts, hints and tips?

Back