Few Questions

I fill it upright, can’t get a full tank if you don’t because of the flair at the top of the tank.

The R3Thas the fuel fill on the right side of the tank,that is why putting on side stand get optimal fuel in the tank.(IMO)

I've found the Touring to be the most difficult to fill of any bike I've owned. Perhaps it's because the tank is so wide and the fill spout so far forward but definitely fuel on the side stand. I've refueled my DL650 VStrom while sitting astride it and with the kickstand up but trying to do it on the Touring is a disaster waiting to happen IMHO.

A couple of our forum members came over to the house and one, Claviger, downloaded a proper tune for it. After checking the Tune ECU software and two tunes that I had, we couldn't get my laptop and cable to synch with the ECU. Fortunately Rob brought his laptop with him and successfully downloaded the tune using his cable. The change in power and torque was significant and magnificent.

You've gotten good advice on exhausts and intake mods but my advice is to take it one step at a time. My 09 Touring has the Triumph Off Road mufflers, which eliminate the cats in the stockers and sounds much better. With the TORs and the tune I am very satisfied and am calling a pause in any additional mods until I've gotten some miles under my belt. I did get a Uni filter for it upon the recommendation of a friend who rides very wild super bikes. I had a K&N on my last Rocket.

Always fuel up on the stand. If you sit on it and the fuel ignites for some reason the result is obvious.
I have been riding for over 40 years and never filled bike while sitting on it. I was warned against this when I started riding but already realised this. Nobody I know fills up while sitting on bike.

Always fuel up on the stand. If you sit on it and the fuel ignites for some reason the result is obvious.
I have been riding for over 40 years and never filled bike while sitting on it. I was warned against this when I started riding but already realized this. Nobody I know fills up while sitting on bike.

Why? Some bikes are easy and some not. As long as it is an easy reach there is nothing unsafe about it. When I rode up to the Arctic Circle, dismounting was a bit of a PITA because of the cargo I was carrying. All three of us refueled astride the bike whenever we could. That's my DL650 below and the Yukon River in the background. And that was one fast moving river. If one fell off the dock into the river, he'd be around the bend before anyone could thrown a rope.

249 RF.jpg

And my friend Dan and his R100PD. He's ridding the the Arctic and north seven times up to Inuvek on the McKenzie Delta. He's also ridden to Panama on a 250 Sherpa. We never had an incident refueling without dismounting and I've never had a fuel fire, even when I overflowed a tank, standing beside it, and dumped it all over the tank and engine. I can see better down into the tank while sitting on the bike and looking directly into the fuel spout, with the exception of the Touring.
B 029 RF.jpg

Last edited:
Why? Some bikes are easy and some not. As long as it is an easy reach there is nothing unsafe about it. When I rode up to the Arctic Circle, dismounting was a bit of a PITA because of the cargo I was carrying. All three of us refueled astride the bike whenever we could. That's my DL650 below and the Yukon River in the background. And that was one fast moving river. If one fell off the dock into the river, he'd be around the bend before anyone could thrown a rope.

249 RF.jpg

And my friend Dan and his R100PD. He's ridding the the Arctic and north seven times up to Inuvek on the McKenzie Delta. He's also ridden to Panama on a 250 Sherpa. We never had an incident refueling without dismounting and I've never had a few fire, even when I overflowed a tank, standing beside it, and dumped it all over the tank and engine. I can see better down into the tank while sitting on the bike and looking directly into the fuel spout, with the exception of the Touring.
B 029 RF.jpg

Most likely it will always be ok.
It's just the one time it may happen.

Oh great. Now every time I think about filling her up while sitting on the seat, I'll be thinking of Nat King Cole's song, "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire".

Back