Windshield Questions - I have 3!

germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
Hey, friends! When I bought my 2014 Roadster, it came with 3 windshields:
  • What appears to be a stock Triumph windshield (the smallest of the 3)
  • A Clearview one with a a vent and slimmer cut bottom (medium of the 3)
  • A 2" taller Clearview with a vent and wide at the bottom (largest of the 3)

I typically ride without a shield because I mostly ride short trips and I like the breeze.
I am going to be doing a 1000 mile trip through Colorado this summer and think I should use a shield.
The brackets came on the largest windscreen so that is the only one I have ever fitted to the bike. It seems to work fine - definitely blocks the wind - which I miss in town. I'm sure it would be less fatiguing on a longer trip with the screen.

So, a couple questions, I guess.
  1. Should I worry that if it is 80-90 degrees out that I am going to be way hotter behind the windshield (does the vent really help)?
  2. Short of swapping the brackets and trying each one for short distances, can you tell me what I might expect? I'm trying to figure out the "slim" cut bottom on the medium sized one. What does not having those extra "wings" do?

Any advice you can give will be appreciated. I'll attach pics for reference.

IMG_1713.jpeg
IMG_1714.jpeg
IMG_1716.jpeg

stick with largest
the big one will be hot at the stop lights but the wind will not beat up on you.

stick with largest
the big one will be hot at the stop lights but the wind will not beat up on you.
I've done quite a few long-haul trips with my '14 R3T and the tall windscreen (as compared to when I've ridden without a screen) is a HUGE bonus for protection and fatigue.
-MIG

Thank you both. That's what I was thinking. I was looking at the brackets and it seems there is maybe some room for tilting the windscreen as you position it? Or at least I saw some horizontal cutouts that might indicate that. Am I thinking that correctly? If so, what is the goal? Get wind to go up and completely over your head? Right now it hits probably the top 3" of my helmet.

Thank you both. That's what I was thinking. I was looking at the brackets and it seems there is maybe some room for tilting the windscreen as you position it? Or at least I saw some horizontal cutouts that might indicate that. Am I thinking that correctly? If so, what is the goal? Get wind to go up and completely over your head? Right now it hits probably the top 3" of my helmet.
My touring doesn't have any tilt feature (keep in mind an additional goal is no head buffeting). I'm not sure if the Roadster (with two headlights vice my one) had more options.
-MIG

My touring doesn't have any tilt feature (keep in mind an additional goal is no head buffeting). I'm not sure if the Roadster (with two headlights vice my one) had more options.
-MIG
Got it. I'm gonna sound like a complete dummy here, but what is "head buffeting"?

Got it. I'm gonna sound like a complete dummy here, but what is "head buffeting"?
Not at all!! So, as you know, you want a windscreen you can see over easily (not designed to look through); however, if your "sitting height" as compared to the the windscreen height is off, the air coming off of the top of the windscreen with may hit your helmet in such a way to cause a vibration or buffeting... which is aggravating and tiring on your neck. This is generally at higher (freeway) speeds. I'm 5'10" with a Triumph touring seat and I've had no issues with my tall screen. When I ride my wife's Fat Boy, I can get some buffeting on the freeway as her screen is lower as the air hits me in the wrong way. WIndscreen's with vents tend to help reduce or eliminate head buffeting if you have that issue.
-MIG

Not at all!! So, as you know, you want a windscreen you can see over easily (not designed to look through); however, if your "sitting height" as compared to the the windscreen height is off, the air coming off of the top of the windscreen with may hit your helmet in such a way to cause a vibration or buffeting... which is aggravating and tiring on your neck. This is generally at higher (freeway) speeds. I'm 5'10" with a Triumph touring seat and I've had no issues with my tall screen. When I ride my wife's Fat Boy, I can get some buffeting on the freeway as her screen is lower as the air hits me in the wrong way. WIndscreen's with vents tend to help reduce or eliminate head buffeting if you have that issue.
-MIG
I see! That makes sense! Good to know. Interesting about "not designed to look through". I think the top of the tall screen is maybe even with my eye line/brow line. Hmm... I'm going to have to do some investigating!

Is the goal for the wind to go up and over your head completely or just hit in such a way that it isn't blasting you non-stop? I've seen those little "sport screens" but didn't really understand the purpose. Interesting.

I see! That makes sense! Good to know. Interesting about "not designed to look through". I think the top of the tall screen is maybe even with my eye line/brow line. Hmm... I'm going to have to do some investigating!

Is the goal for the wind to go up and over your head completely or just hit in such a way that it isn't blasting you non-stop? I've seen those little "sport screens" but didn't really understand the purpose. Interesting.
Yes, you want a screen you look fully over. Obviously, you can look through a clear screen but only for situational awareness of the front of your bike. ...and up and over in such a way as to make it a smooth air flow (similar to what they look for when testing cars in a wind tunnel where they and add smoke to see the air flow over the body panels).

Headed out on a business trip (unfortunately can't ride there).
Take care!
-MIG

Yes, you want a screen you look fully over. Obviously, you can look through a clear screen but only for situational awareness of the front of your bike. ...and up and over in such a way as to make it a smooth air flow (similar to what they look for when testing cars in a wind tunnel where they and add smoke to see the air flow over the body panels).

Headed out on a business trip (unfortunately can't ride there).
Take care!
-MIG
Thanks so much for your time and help!

Back