Fatality on Devil's Whip (NC)

.......and the pavement may be uneven. My wife hit a pot hole in the midline one day up into the curvy roads of KY and busted a front wheel. Of course I had to tell her that if she had not crossed the line we would not be needing to come back up with a trailer and and tow that home and buy a new wheel.:mad:

Doc, with due respect, you wife is as good a rider as you are. :thumbsup:

Tell me about it, being The Group expert at that. Blind right handers with a rocky ditch scare me more. During the Stearns RAA somehow I ended on the right side white twice. Staring back to the riders in front saved me. Over the center... just once in one of the Devils Triangle cork screw hair pins, in 1st gear :eek:

"Staring back to the riders in front saved me."
Say what, Ricardo?!?!?!?
OMG.jpg Smiley.jpg

my 2 cents
if u went over the center line (like me) it was because u were afraid to lean it on over.:eek:
from now on i will be rubbing the pegs off before i cross the center line again.;)

Herman,
90% of the "ride off roadway" motor crashes I investigate could have been avoided had the rider used more of the available lean angle.
Most riders have no idea what the handling limits of their motors are.
Even worse, is they have no idea of their own limits.
Tis not requisite to know these things as long as you NEVER exceed the speed limits!
If you wish to be a better rider and/or you have a tendency to hoon, you had better learn these things.

Now that I be thinking about this, I believe a good idea would be to at least determine the static lean angle of your bike so that you have a somewhat better idea of how far your bike can lean. This can be accomplished with two peeps, a little ingenuity and a magnetic protractor.
Bear in mind that your static lean angle measurement will be greater than your dynamic (real world riding) lean angle, so consider your safe riding (dynamic) lean angle to be about a quarter less.

A little additional food for thought:
Intuitive Response Profile.jpg

Last edited:
part of my learning
was to study the wild/crazy videos and i was (after i crossed the lines) sup prized at how many riders just drove off the road and the guy behind just pulled over and stopped. like wtf
i was coming back from flagstaff and i caught up with three riders so i would have some protection
it did not take long before i noticed the rider in the middle did not know what he was doing:eek: so i backed off a couple of miles.

my 2 cents
if u went over the center line (like me) it was because u were afraid to lean it on over.:eek:
from now on i will be rubbing the pegs off before i cross the center line again.;)

Rubbing the pegs off although better than crossing the line still means you entered the corner wrong, the bike has two points of contact with the road when a third comes into play bad things can happen:eek: when someone says did you hear me scrapping through the corner I usually say try taking it correctly the next time:D
Now have we all scrapped now and then? yes we have but if you are scrapping all the time hmmmmmm:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
talking about lean angle in most cases the bike is capable of more than the rider, when leaning into a corner each person has a point of comfort after that the brain tells you the wrong things to do like, roll off the throttle, apply the brakes(trail braking if performed correctly can really help in the corners) all of which stands the bike up and over the line you go.

Rubbing the pegs off although better than crossing the line still means you entered the corner wrong, the bike has two points of contact with the road when a third comes into play bad things can happen:eek: when someone says did you hear me scrapping through the corner I usually say try taking it correctly the next time:D
Now have we all scrapped now and then? yes we have but if you are scrapping all the time hmmmmmm:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
talking about lean angle in most cases the bike is capable of more than the rider, when leaning into a corner each person has a point of comfort after that the brain tells you the wrong things to do like, roll off the throttle, apply the brakes(trail braking if performed correctly can really help in the corners) all of which stands the bike up and over the line you go.

Amigo,
I respectfully disagree . . . somewhat.
I like your three points tripod analogy; however, static lean angle has to do with the radius of the turn and the velocity traveled.
Dynamic lean angle also involves rider & cargo weight as well as suspension load.
I do not believe either involves where the line taken is on the pavement.
If I be incorrect, please illuminate me . . . :D

part of my learning
was to study the wild/crazy videos and i was (after i crossed the lines) sup prized at how many riders just drove off the road and the guy behind just pulled over and stopped. like wtf
i was coming back from flagstaff and i caught up with three riders so i would have some protection
it did not take long before i noticed the rider in the middle did not know what he was doing:eek: so i backed off a couple of miles.

Herman,
I sure hope that was not me?!?!? :rolleyes: :roll: :inlove

Back