Fatality on Devil's Whip (NC)

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
I just learned of this fatal accident that occurred Sunday on the whip involving three motorcycles and a minivan.

The guy who died and his female passenger are both from my town, but I never met him or noticed him out riding. I looked him up on FB and see that he had a Ninja that he was quite proud of. No word yet on the condition of his girlfriend or the other motorcyclists that were involved.

1 dead, 3 injured in motorcycle and minivan wreck

According to police "a high rate of speed was a factor in the collision." Bashista was leading the group when he crossed the center line and collided with the minivan. Apparently the two bikes following were also involved.

Be safe out there.

That used to happen on a regular basis back in the late 80's and early 90's (when sport bikes were evolving faster than the riders) on the road from Redwood City up to Skyline Blvd (through Woodside) and then over to Highway 92 to go over to Half Moon Bay in the Bay Area. I saw more than one head on between bike and cage and also bike vs. bike. You have to stay in your own lane.....always.

bob

I will admit to running a corner way wide into the oncoming lane, completely frozen for a good second or two while I was processing WTF was going on.

It seems I meant to dab front brake but didn’t fully close throttle so they fought each other and stood the bike up, running me wide.

Luckily I got away with it, oncoming lane was empty. That could have easily been the end of me.

Don’t do that, it’s scary and dangerous.

I will admit to running a corner way wide into the oncoming lane, completely frozen for a good second or two while I was processing WTF was going on.

It seems I meant to dab front brake but didn’t fully close throttle so they fought each other and stood the bike up, running me wide.

Luckily I got away with it, oncoming lane was empty. That could have easily been the end of me.

Don’t do that, it’s scary and dangerous.

I've done it a few times (who can say they haven't?) and just about nothing else scares me more. The goal is to ride so that never does happen, but I think some people that routinely push beyond their abilities simply accept it as part of riding fast. That's a version of Russian roulette.

I've also noticed that cars and trucks are having an increasingly hard time staying in their lane and often treat the whole road as their own, unless they see someone coming.

Crossing the line is roulette. Oncoming is the loaded chamber. I try very hard not to over ride the curves. I mean who am I really racing?:confused:

I've done it a few times (who can say they haven't?) and just about nothing else scares me more. The goal is to ride so that never does happen, but I think some people that routinely push beyond their abilities simply accept it as part of riding fast. That's a version of Russian roulette.

I've also noticed that cars and trucks are having an increasingly hard time staying in their lane and often treat the whole road as their own, unless they see someone coming.

‘‘Twas the first and will be the last time I do it. Did not sit well with me.

Back