Fails to start

But they are basically a "sealed" battery. From what I'm reading on the interweb, they have to be glass mat or gel to do that ? OR... am I FOS, again, this morning already :confused:

Sealed batteries can be regular leadacid. They can handle some pressure from heat and charging.

I had the EXACT same issue this weekend with my 2008 R3T. I checked everything, relays, switches, battery, cables, fuses I mean everything. Will not bore you with the details but try this. Connect a jumper lead cable from the battery negative terminal to one of the bolts connecting the starter motor to the engine. Then push the start button, I'm sure it will fire up. I think the issue is, the starter motor flange is alloy and the bolts are steel and some kind of chemical thing is happening causing a bad earth between the bolts and the starter motor. I ran a cable from the bolt to the negative terminal of the battery, so it now has its own earth cable, now it fires up better than it ever did.. Hope this helps.
I'm about to buy some new replacement cables and try this method. I had my battery checked at a local battery store and everything checked out clean. 12.8 volts and the Cranking amps were perfect. Thanks all the the help at pinpointing this pesky problem, its so beautiful out today and I just want to ride!

So its been a few months and I wanted to update what exactly I found to be the problem. After more research I came across a thread in here somewhere that was talking about the AB 170 sensor going bad. Well I replaced it and the bike fired right up! Thanks everyone for the input, safe riding!

So its been a few months and I wanted to update what exactly I found to be the problem. After more research I came across a thread in here somewhere that was talking about the AB 170 sensor going bad. Well I replaced it and the bike fired right up! Thanks everyone for the input, safe riding!

And what exactly is that sensor? Rather cryptic description.

Back