Ride
2018 Rocket 3 Roadster
So I just picked up a new 2018 Rocket and have already lost an Exhaust manifold nut with less than 300 miles on it. I checked the other manifold nuts and there were loose as well. Can someone with a service manual tell me when these should be torqued to? Should I just remove them all and loctite them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

19Nm but I'd go back to the Triumph dealer, at least to get it on record

upload_2018-8-5_21-53-23.png

So I just picked up a new 2018 Rocket and have already lost an Exhaust manifold nut with less than 300 miles on it. I checked the other manifold nuts and there were loose as well. Can someone with a service manual tell me when these should be torqued to? Should I just remove them all and loctite them?

I did take it back to the dealer. They suggested loctite but I have always been told that is a no no on exhausts, plus the stuff just breaks down with heat.

Same thing happened to me when my 2012 was brand new.
The replacement I could find while out on a trip was a 13mm wrench sise so I bought two open end wrenches, 12mm & 13mm that I carry on board to this day. :D
Be diligent tightening nuts frequently on a new bike. After the first year things will settle in. :thumbsup:

It’s normal when new gaskets are in place in the head, as they heat and squish, the nuts loose their torque.

The fix is to torque to spec, after a few rides go check and retorque them.

They’ll stay from then on.

Also...19nm is ridiculously low. Yes I’m saying Triumph is wrong, no reason for 19nm with a steel nut on a steel stud lol.

When my bike was new those nuts came loose regularly. I torqued them every couple of months for several years. I still check them at least 4 times a year now. I ride the Rocket about 4 to 5 thousand miles a year average.

Yep my 18 is the same...so too are the rad surrounds. This is my third...they ALL needed tightening up on delivery.

Never had a problem with loosing a nut. Think about it. o_Oo_Oo_O Like any other new bike you have to stay on top of it. Oh @ell could keep this going on all night. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Same thing happened to me when my 2012 was brand new.
The replacement I could find while out on a trip was a 13mm wrench sise so I bought two open end wrenches, 12mm & 13mm that I carry on board to this day. :D
Be diligent tightening nuts frequently on a new bike. After the first year things will settle in. :thumbsup:
I would take this a step further and say check all you can on your bike a few times a year, motorbikes shake rattle and roll so bits will work loose.

Back