When my Viking Exhaust arrives I'll try some of the tors, RamAir downloads but I hate popping. To me, backfires means your bike isn't tuned correctly. This said, most motorcycle manufacturers retard the timing in their bikes. And over the years I've installed may TREs in different makes and models along with intake and exhaust upgrades and I've never fought decl pops like I had on my 09 rocket. However, back then there were active members who would help. They would take the tunes and tweak them and make needed adjustments. Apparently they've moved on. So, I too might have to invest in a PCV for a good fual/air mixture and tune. I don't want to but it's my bike. My problem.

I fought the deci pops for a long time. Even after a good dyno i still have some when i let off the gas. Yes i have a complete 3 into one viking exhaust system and love it. Not knocking Paul's exhaust system at all but believe it may have a little to do with the popping.

When my Viking Exhaust arrives I'll try some of the tors, RamAir downloads but I hate popping. To me, backfires means your bike isn't tuned correctly. This said, most motorcycle manufacturers retard the timing in their bikes. And over the years I've installed may TREs in different makes and models along with intake and exhaust upgrades and I've never fought decl pops like I had on my 09 rocket. However, back then there were active members who would help. They would take the tunes and tweak them and make needed adjustments. Apparently they've moved on. So, I too might have to invest in a PCV for a good fual/air mixture and tune. I don't want to but it's my bike. My problem.
There are tunes on this site that are close for your equipment.

I feel the guys that were helping others just kinda got burned out. Some people even got angry with them because they weren’t responding fast enough!

Decel popping is a normal thing that many experience. Mine even did it after the tune on the dyno. It’s common on any bike where the exhaust is opened up. It can be mostly tuned out. I’ve spent countless hours fiddling with tuning. Problem is without engine data, your just fishin in the dark!

I hate it because it affects ride ability, and sounds terrible!

The “CES Ramair” tune should work well for you. See the resources area.

There are tunes on this site that are close for your equipment.

I feel the guys that were helping others just kinda got burned out. Some people even got angry with them because they weren’t responding fast enough!

Decel popping is a normal thing that many experience. Mine even did it after the tune on the dyno. It’s common on any bike where the exhaust is opened up. It can be mostly tuned out. I’ve spent countless hours fiddling with tuning. Problem is without engine data, your just fishin in the dark!

I hate it because it affects ride ability, and sounds terrible!

The “CES Ramair” tune should work well for you. See the resources area.
I have and I've downloaded a few. I've renamed them with notes for trial. Paul is backed up and mt viking's will arrive late fall. I might not get a chance to do much testing this season.

I still have a small amount of back fire even with the PCV and Dyno. It is minimal and nothing like what it was with the TORS download from Triumph. It runs hard and strong.:thumbsup:
Glad to hear you experienced gains with PCV and Dynojet tune over and above TORS Triumph download. My '18 will be going in shortly for PCV, Dynojet tune, K& N's and DP crossover install.

Thanks John for chiming in and good poop. 😘
@Walking Tall There is no comparison.
Tune ECU is superior and PCV is unecessary.
OEM intake (K&N or not) is inadequate.
Get a RamAir and a goid header and you'll be ip around 160 RWHP.

I don't have any reliable tuners near me...I went pcv and AT after installing DP exhaust and K&N air etc...Let me tell you - The PCV and AT did a fantastic job of adjusting tune to reduce decel pop and increase performance. If you cant get to a tuner you trust the PCV / AT will do a great job.

Two observations from many decades of tuning . Number one cause of popping on decel is exhaust leaks. If you have any, no matter how small, fix them. Number two cause is too lean on overrun and very small throttle increments. If your bike has air injection ( which I do not think Rockets get except in maybe Ca) that is another cause, basically an air leak. Hope this is helpful.
Also Dyno jet have an ignition module which works with PCV on a R3. In reality anything one can use to adjust the bike effectively will give you a good tune, if it is adjusted well. In the case of a rocket, Tuneboy, Tune ecu, pcv and ign module, Each has benefits and disadvantages, but all will work to achieve a very similar result is used properly.

Last edited:
I don't have any reliable tuners near me...I went pcv and AT after installing DP exhaust and K&N air etc...Let me tell you - The PCV and AT did a fantastic job of adjusting tune to reduce decel pop and increase performance. If you cant get to a tuner you trust the PCV / AT will do a great job.
So, did you just install the PCV w/AT and a generic map or did you take it in to a tuner you get it dyno tuned?
I'm glad it helped with the decel popping. I'm just wondering how you accomplished it

Back