Dyno skills - If they’re good does specific Rocket exp. matter?

For those of us that have PCV and AT, is the AT deactivated while tuning? I would presume it would have to be. Getting mine tuned this spring after putting on Paul's header. Chromed Header. Already had non stock cross over, Ram Air, and will have decatted stockers. May be PCV tuned or hoping for Tune ECU in Mass. Starting out with a tune for non stock headers,etc, suggested by @Clavinger. 20776 CES and Ram Air.

Hoopla

~ was talking in messages with a couple of fellow captains and we thought this might be a valid general question about having a Rocket dyno’d.

Living in an area that is the most diehard Harley country you could imagine, I cannot find anyone with specific experience tuning a Triumph or any metric bike for that matter.

So the question: Acknowledging experience with tuning a Rocket is desirable....What if a Dyno shop has no specific experience with a Rocket BUT has a great reputation as a Dyno tuning shop ...albeit for Harley’s.

- Is it still going to be better to have a non Triumph experienced tuner BUT a tuner with a great reputation have a go at tuning our machines? After all he knows his ‘Dyno stuff’ ? ( existing tune is pretty close however)

- Wouldn’t a skilled , experienced Dyno Guy be able to simply apply this skill to a Rocket?

- Would this in all probability still produce better results rather than simply leaving the existing (pretty good) tune and PCV / Autotune do its stuff?

- Any or what are potential down falls?

Thanks...

( Roadster / Air delete / DP shorties / PCV / recommended tune from the AT tech dept downloaded in PCV / AT / DP shorties /)
G’day mate, how goes it ? Saw u have DP shorties? Do u like? Wld u do them again? Cheers :)

As Neville says, the skill set translates between engines.

It will be quicker if they're experienced on the specific bike.

Regarding AT, it should be disabled during a tuning session, and once fully tuned, there's not much need to turn it back on.

G’day mate, how goes it ? Saw u have DP shorties? Do u like? Wld u do them again? Cheers :)

I do now. I posted a while ago about my trials and tribulations with these. The PCV and AT made an enormous difference.
With out these having the DPs literally brought me to the point of nearly ripping them off and going back to stock. Suggesting the 12 min tune alone is all that’s needed as DP does is nonsense.

I do now. I posted a while ago about my trials and tribulations with these. The PCV and AT made an enormous difference.
With out these having the DPs literally brought me to the point of nearly ripping them off and going back to stock. Suggesting the 12 min tune alone is all that’s needed as DP does is nonsense.
Ahhhh!!!

Thank you. Was wondering Hard abt that :-/

Pause for thought, before I went and lashed out in excitement, being a new R3 owner.

If all else failed / fails, I have ‘the man in the shed’ down the road from me ... but .... am Aussie Beer Tokens short right now, so have to do pipes only once, and getting it right wld be very preferable ...

Know of any choice pipe down each side, preferably stainless, bolt on systems that run without PCV and dyno etc etc tweaks ?

Apparently you can run Roadster mufflers on your earlier R3 . I think Paul Bryant said you can fit the LHS but need a simply modified/made bracket for RHS. The cross pipe can be any two pipe aftermaRKET CROSS PIPE FOR rOADSTERS OR the stock Roadster cross pipe.

You would still have CATs then though as Roadsters have them in the stock muffler cans and not the cross pipe despite it looking similar to the earlier R3 which does have CATs in the cross pipe but NOT the muffler cans.

You could get TORs for Roadsters without CATs but not cheap either 2nd hand and no longer available new.

Back