Dealer tire prices

Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
well I called my dealer for a price check for a set of Avon’s for my r3t. According to them, my “sale” price for both tires would be $485 plus installation which is about $120. The labor charge included the fact that the wheels are already removed, and I would have hand carried them in.
I called wanting to support my dealer, but this is so ridiculous, that I just won’t give them my business.
I can get them shipped to my home for about $320 from Rocky Mountain atv. I have a local shop that will install them for me.
It’s too bad, but this is the way it is I guess.
I have no plans to ever return to my dealer for anything.

I went on a call yesterday to check on a under the slab water leak, the guy had his water shut off to the whole house , now I told him on the phone that the charge would be $200 when I arrived all he did was ***** about the cost and does that cost include jack hammering the floor and repairing the leak, the guy heard me laughing as I walked back to my truck and left.
If it is worth your time to remove the wheels and take them some where else go for it if not spend the thousands on a good tyre machine and do them yourself .remember the dealer has overheads . insurance in case he drops or damages your bike/wheels, employees to pay and cover, electric bills, rent bills.water bills I would go on but we are limited to 10,000 letters:D

I agree. If you have ability do it yourself, you will save money.
If not, pay someone and it will always cost more after all it is a business they are running not a charity.
The only reason I do most of the work myself is that I’m not to impressed with the quality of work for the money spent.

I am mainly referring to the 51% tire markup compared to the online store. It seems excessive.
Obviously, they cannot price match, but that much of a difference is too much.
I don’t know what their labor charge would have been if I rode the bike in and said here you go change my tires. They quoted me $120 labor based on me carrying the wheels in, which I don’t feel is too bad. I’m just not going to pay that much for the rubber. I have a local mechanic that’ll do the work of mounting.

I just added the jack be quick lifting bracket and I wanted to remove the wheels myself so I could inspect and lube the splines. I used to do the same job when I had my Valkyrie.
I am an industrial mechanic by trade, and I get a lot of satisfaction from doing what I feel I am able to do on my own.

Something to consider ... you may NEED your dealer one day. That being said and being quite capable to R&R the wheels, and feeling the same as you ... I chose to buy my first set of replacement tires from the dealer as a gesture of good will ... going both ways ... after that I buy from RMATV and have my dealer install for me.

May I suggest you go back to your dealer and negotiate a better price for the tires and the install, then let them do it just this time. It will be to your benefit at some point.

Ok I'm a feller that lives 200 mile from a jerk off triumph dealer. I go down to the local tire shop have them bust the bead knowing i will be back with a tire to put on. So last time three tires two rear rims busted one rear on, one front on and off 25 bucks straight up
Before I stuff 20 bucks into the techs pocket told him I'd see him next year or in the local pub first either way he wins. :D

Idaho, I have been back to my dealer for the 500 mile break in work. I also went back last fall to buy my Castrol oil and filter and washers there. Plus I bought a battery tender, and a tank bib.
I prefer to do my own oil changes as well.
So, I have supported them somewhat.

Most of us on here try and do what we can ,but personally I am more than happy to pay someone to pull my wheels(be nice now) change thetyres and reinstall them

If you give the shop the tire sale they will discount the balance/mount. Personally it's fun to tear up a little bit of the bike. Clean everything well, hell... it even makes me look a little like Claviger :laugh:.

Back