Cycle Sounds stereo system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha.. that is funny! Too many tempting toys readily available!

I've actually looked at that system a bit too. I like the way the speakers match the gauges, and I don't have the fuel gauge and clock, so I would just put them in that location... Hmmm.... more tempting toys..

I'm gonna get some flak for this one but.....There are enough distractions riding a bike without adding more. You need to be 100% attuned to whats going on around you, the changing situations and be especially attuned to what that cage next to you is about to do...you know, the soccer mom on the cell phone, combing her hair and reading a book.....

Distractions on your bike like stereo or MP3 or Bluetooth Wireless add to your reaction time by distracting your thought process. You might need that 100th of a second sometime and if you don't have it, you might not be here to reply to this post.........:D

To each his own. For me, less distractions are better.

I used to think the same thing before I bought a '03 Goldwing. I don't use the onboard speakers but I've installed speakers in our helmets. I first installed them so we could use the intercom and because they were there, I experimented with the stereo. There are times when I'll quickly mute the sound when concentrating on heavy traffic, bad drivers, commercials or music I don't care for but for the most part I don't find listening to be distracting at all. I really thought it would be but it's not (for me anyway). We all know the average motorist can't drive and chew gum much less talk on a cell phone but if you ride very much and are still in one piece, you're not an average motorist :D

I love My XM radio, Its great on long trips. I have the headset with a J&M bar mounted CB. Its also nice to have the weather radio when those dark clouds roll in.

I do like to listen to the radio, AM, FM, and have a MP3 player to listen to podcasts or music. I have been using very inexpensive IEM's that have a volume control. Wind isolation is the problem however you want to hear what is going on around you too. A tricky balance and I'm afraid that speakers would complicate that process. Just my dos centavos. Next step is helmet speakers with earplugs.:confused:

Actually , I don't have any problems sorting out different sounds while riding (especially after experiencing the 80 per channel, 4 speaker sound on the Gold Wing). You can train your ears to listen for a lot of different things. After 21 years in the Navy (about 16 of them in the engine room) you learn to identify a lot of different sounds (pump noise, turbine whine, generators going on the governor, paralleling generators, ramping the boilers up, different sounds identifying different casualties (engine room operators or watch standers know what I am talking about) about to happen or in the process of happening, etc...

That is why (sorry Bob...and others who use ear buds/headsets) I prefer sound coming out of speakers as I can easily differentiate other sounds, other than the music while I am riding. I tried helmet headsets once, and here is where Flip is probably correct in his take on the subject, and the sound was too direct, too close to the ears to where they blocked too much outside sound out...in my opinion, that is just me.

Others may have adapted, with the headsets, in a totally different way and can hear outside noises just fine, and others, like Flip, prefer the quiet. When I want to experience the quiet I just turn the sound off. But on long trips I prefer to listen to some tunes to speed up the trip, so to speak, so I can pyschologically get there faster.
Dennis

I'm getting into sound quality and there is nothing better than live sound as reproduction reduces something no matter what you do to recreate it be it digital or analog. The subjective analysis of this is endless. Since I have a limited time left on this pleasure island I would like to do it in a better way. Riding is my passion and listening along the way isn't bad either, however you do it, just do it, as long as it is safe.

Actually I'm referring to white boys who listen to rap...it's sad. Its bad enough the people of color have bought into the whole "rap" personna, but, in some of their defense, a lot of them have the background that they can relate to or identify with it, but the majority of white guys who listen to it (IMHO) seem to want to copycat another culture that they have no concept of except thru that type of music.

To me there is just too much good music out there to settle for rap. I'd even listen to CW (if I was tied up and had no choice, though I do enjoy some occasional pick'n and grin'n) before I would even think of listening to rap.

I't's all a matter of choice...I choose not to listen to rap.
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back