Corbin Sucks

I saw a set of their beetle bags a few weeks ago and was shocked when the guy told me what he paid for them. They looked and felt like cheap crap to me.

Obviously each seat is designed differently. The Solo seat for my R3T has a keyed release as opposed to the stock seat which is bolted on. A big plus for the Corbin.

As to the stitching and water retention, I live in Arizona, we get about 3 days of rain a year, so not an issue. Having owned Corbin seats in the past, I was aware of the potential for the seat to be a bit higher than stock. For me that's also a plus.

I've not owned any of their painted parts so I can't speak to the quality of those items. I've heard numerous complaints about Corbin's service over the years. I guess I've just been lucky in that the seats I've ordered have fit fine and had no quality issues, thus I haven't had a need to test the aftermarket support.

My problem is specifically with the Dual Tour seat on the Rocket. The main problem is that instead of using the existing key quick release the seat bolts on, worse, the bolts are not accessible if you have Corbin Beetle Bags. To access the battery I had to remove both bags, then the seat that is held on by 2 bolts.

Other minor problems with the seat is that the stitching lets in water, if the seat gets wet, you'll have a wet arse for the rest of the week and its thicker than the stock seat, so you'd better have long legs or a landingear Legup.

The fact that the stock seat has channels leading to the airbox and the Corbin did not did concern me, but I dont think caused any problems.

That said, I'd not exclaim Corbin sucked because of that alone. It is the very poor quality paintwork, build, ergonomics and slow unhelpful (but polite) customer service that brought me to post.

I'm still waiting for my 3rd set of Beetle Bags that the dealership removed June 2009. I would expect a reputable company to be embarrassed by the same paint problem on 2 sets of bags and to want to get them back to me promptly. These things were expensive and not nearly as good build quality as the Triumph Tourer ones.

I saw a set of their beetle bags a few weeks ago and was shocked when the guy told me what he paid for them. They looked and felt like cheap crap to me.

They look good from afar is about as much praise I can give them. Its a shame, wouldn't take much to make them great.

Picture of the day they were installed and then one month later with bubble in paint. Corbin seat still not received at this point, it had only been 6 months since ordering.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0008_2.jpg
    IMG_0008_2.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 199
To be fair, I can't tell much from your pics except for possibly a bubble on the front of the right side bag. But, the lids on the ones I saw (on a Road Liner Midnight) didn't line up correctly. The latches were loose even though the hardware bolts were tight. The bags just screamed cheap crap. I've seen a few sets of these bags over the years and I don't ever recall looking at any of the past examples and thinking "what a POS" so maybe there's something to the new management theory.

To be fair, I can't tell much from your pics except for possibly a bubble on the front of the right side bag. But, the lids on the ones I saw (on a Road Liner Midnight) didn't line up correctly. The latches were loose even though the hardware bolts were tight. The bags just screamed cheap crap. I've seen a few sets of these bags over the years and I don't ever recall looking at any of the past examples and thinking "what a POS" so maybe there's something to the new management theory.

Picture was more to demonstrate that they are pretty. You really do have to get up close and try them out for yourself to see what crap they are. When I get the new ones, maybe I'll bite the bullet and pay someone to put some extra clear coat on and find some better hardware and a way to make them more watertight.

Is this quality issue a recent development with the seats? I have the Young Guns fake aligator leather and love the thing. The stitching is tight and it's well made, It actually sits a little lower than stock and has a great high back that holds you in the saddle well. It was a little getting used to with the firmness of it, but they were right ... "firmer is better". The seat is much more comfy on the ars than the stock or gel seats, in fact I have a gel solo and pillion for sale.
I haven't tried any of their other products because they are WAY overpriced. $1500 for saddle bags??? come on now, they better have a tent and A/C in there for that kind of money. And their "alien" looking fly screen might be somewhat functional, but thats priced out of the ball park as well

They sure looked good new though,
so send em to me.
I'll take them cheesy POS off your hands.
They'll fit right in with the rest of my rat bike theme I've got going.
Take $100.00 apiece for em and shipping?
You might as well throw that crappy seat in the box too,
get rid of it and the hassle.

Back