Corbin Sucks

greerso

.020 Over
2008 bought new R3 with just about every extra I could fit on it. From Corbin I bought the Dual Tour Heated Seat, Beetle Bags and Fleetliner Fairing.

Parts took 4 months to come in from Corbin, every time I called was another excuse. First they were preparing for a big bike show, then they needed pictures of my paint, then they lost the pictures etc.

Once the parts were on the bike I had nothing but trouble with them:

Fleetliner Fairing: Looks amazing but creates terrible turbulence at 50mph+ to the point you cant even see straight because your head is vibrating so much.

Beetle Bags: Locks are shoddy and break after a few weeks of use. They let water in, but not out so anything inside will get moldy and/or rusted. Heat strips on bottom of bags peel off when they get too hot (which they do because bags sit very close to pipes). They also interfere with passenger comfort because they sit so close to the pegs that the passenger can only fit part of heel on the peg.

Touring Seat: Doesn't use Triumph key release, instead is bolted on. The bolts are covered by the bags, so you cant access your toolkit or battery without removing bags and bolted on seat.

Paint: Paintwork is very poor, my bags have gone back twice because of paint blistering in the sun. first time took 6 months to replace, second time took over 1 year and I still dont have them back. The pinstriping just rubs off and a bug hitting the fairing at speed chipped the paint (yes a bug, not a stone, a tiny little bug. I know it was a bug because it was only when I wiped the bug away that I saw the chip in the paint it had made).

You've been warned.

Danny

I can't comment on the fairing or the seats but my beetle bags performed pretty well, I had no trouble with the paint and my locks still worked when I sold it to Jeff Lee in April of this year. But since I was overseas a lot I may not have rode it enough to get those things to happen.

I did experience the heat shield "drooping" off some but once I re-glued then with, I think it was, Gorilla Snot or something like that I didn't have the problem any longer and did do a thread on it at one time and told how I corrected it.

Sorry to hear you are having problems, mine was done back in March of 2007 so maybe their quality control has gone down some since then.

Dennis

20 dtg KAF
26 dtg Dubai
27 dtg Home
48 dtg Ray's

Man, sorry the hear about this. I was on Corbin site two weeks ago checking out the Fleetliner Fairing, bags, and the top case/trunk. These items interested me, so I called the to get more info as far as paint matching.

When talking with the young lady at Corbin..…she told me that the bags would not work with the top case because the Beatle doors would not open at all because the top case was in the way????:confused:
Asked about matching my Roadster flat black…..she told me that they could paint them black primer??? I told her that my bike is not primer, it’s paint. She then said that I should email her some close up photos of the paint?? How in the hell is this going to match???? LOL… Yea, a lot of cash for this stuff just guess at the paint color. :eek:

Leatherlyke here I come.

I can't comment on the fairing or the seats but my beetle bags performed pretty well, I had no trouble with the paint and my locks still worked when I sold it to Jeff Lee in April of this year. But since I was overseas a lot I may not have rode it enough to get those things to happen.

I did about 1000 miles a month, riding year round.

Neither the 2 sets of bags or the 2 fairings I've had from them have been painted with more than the flimsiest layer of paint. My boot heel removed the pin-striping from the bags with the lightest of scuffs. Paint blistered on both sets of bags.

They must have really gone down hill. I new the company was for sale. I wonder if there are different owners or if they are just letting it go.

A taller windscreen or lowers will help out. I went with a v-stream from National Cycle.

I agree with Pigger, they must have gone downhill since I dealt with them. All I did was give them the paint name (Phantom Black and Sunset Red I believe) and they matched it perfectly, gold strip and all. They never even brought up "primer" only.

Again, sorry that you had that experience.

Dennis

20 dtg KAF
26 dtg Dubai
27 dtg Home
48 dtg Ray's

You've been warned.

Danny
Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel about them ..... Beating around the bush and holding it in will give you gas! :D
That's pretty funny, been a member all this time and on the first post you go all "Columbine" on Corbin :p. LOL
How long have you been going back and forth with them?
I was a little upset with their lack of desire to accomidate the buyer when I bought my seat in 2008. I got the Young Guns Saddle for the look and because it DOES use the key/cable latch like the stock seat (not many of their fancier seats do). I made a special request that during the assembly they insert a seat heater grid. Asked them to just leave the wires sticking out under the seat, no need to wire it up or install a switch ... just lay down a grid under the front seat. Of course I offered to pay full retail for the "upgrade" just like if they were adding heat to one of their "heat option" seats.
So do you think they might have gone the little extra couple feet to make a customer happy????? Hell NO. "Sir, that seat doesn't come with optional heat" ... So I say, "But you build it from scratch right? Start with a frame and add everything, building it there on site. Right?". "Yes sir we do, but this seat doesnt' come with heat". :confused:

DUUHHHHHH! :p They do seem a bit dense.

So I didn't get heat. :mad:

They replaced my bags even though only one got blistered from heat. They still did not apply any heat shields to the replacements but I found that getting rid of the CAT box and installing TORS greatly reduced the heat.

They seemed to be easy enough to deal with but they have that laid back California attitude and they really don't seem the least bit concerned about our plight. I installed a 14 inch windshield from J & P which ended the head in a blender problem. The pin striping will "smudge" with ease, apparently paint not set or baked, then sealed.

Trunks from anyone do prohibit the Beetle doors from opening. Locks still good, they just need to be aligned and tightened occasonally but what doesn't on a bike.

Sorry about your bad luck. Customer service is lacking at Corbin and timely service is non-existant. Take a look at Matuzu products. They're in Cali too but aren't quite as laid back as Corbin. Footboards with relocater arms ease passenger foot position and yes it's a ***** to spend that much for Beetle bags only to need to spend $350-$400 for footboards and arms :(. It's because we lack the numbers of total riders to lower the prices.

I don't think they are dense from their genetic make up, but I don't think they could pass a drug screen for Cannabis Sativa............dude.:rolleyes:

I added the Matuzu trunk, and I can only open the bag doors about 4 inches so it limits what I can put in there but I just live with that. Bike seems happy and attracts the opposite sex just as well as it ever did :D. A lesson learned from the 70's is that there is better living through chemistry, and Xanax lowers anxiety so consult your local physician...............dude;).

Corbin seats are the best around- nice and hard as a motorbike seat should be as said the new owners might have something to do with your experience.
Silly question why put a fairing on a Rocket I know a few have but the logic escapes me.

Back