Considering R3...Whats accel like?

Jimbeamrye

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
I am very interested in purchasing a new R3 for year 2007. I was curious if anyone has heard of major differences coming in 2007? Also I have been reading about the idle/stalling probs on some bikes, and hope for an official responce from Triumph.
I purchased a new bike last year (VTX) and am very unhappy with throttle responce. I would like to know from you current R3 owners how often you find the bottom of the throttle? When I first got my VTX, I hardly used 100% throttle, but now I have it there all the time and I hate doing that. I want a bike that will dam near pull a wheelie when that throttle goes to 100%...will the R3 do that? Please post what this bike(Stock R3) will do when starting from a dead stop....up to 60 mph? Times? Please be honest if this bike is sluggish in anyway. I would get a racing bike if not for wanting to ride 2 up with the wife. Posts from 2-up riders welcome also. Thanks, John from Pensacola, Florida.

Jimbeamrye said:
I am very interested in purchasing a new R3 for year 2007. I was curious if anyone has heard of major differences coming in 2007? Also I have been reading about the idle/stalling probs on some bikes, and hope for an official responce from Triumph.
I purchased a new bike last year (VTX) and am very unhappy with throttle response. I would like to know from you current R3 owners how often you find the bottom of the throttle? When I first got my VTX, I hardly used 100% throttle, but now I have it there all the time and I hate doing that. I want a bike that will dam near pull a wheelie when that throttle goes to 100%...will the R3 do that? Please post what this bike(Stock R3) will do when starting from a dead stop....up to 60 mph? Times? Please be honest if this bike is sluggish in anyway. I would get a racing bike if not for wanting to ride 2 up with the wife. Posts from 2-up riders welcome also. Thanks, John from Pensacola, Florida.

Hello Jim, Great questions but honestly go test drive one and remove all the mystery of R3 performance. 0 to 60 @ 2.8 seconds claims www.triumphrocket.com. Not sure if full or rolling stop. Drag times has two Rockets coming in around 1.8 seconds from 0 to 60. I'm sure they are modified, but hey, most of ours are!! Just adding K&N's and after market exhaust give impressive gains. With tuneboy even more,....and the Turbo kits are killers when put on a Rocket, albeit a bit too much for the motor in it's stock form.
No response from Triumph concerning idle/throttle issues but problem is definitely in the minority.
Major changes for 2007? All cat boxes will be full in the USA, no more empty ones. Some talk about a Touring version R3 with cowl.
How can you improve on perfection?!:D

Last edited:
I don't think the local cycle shops around here let you take "test" rides. So with that said, will this machine pull a wheel? Does it feel like a ******-rocket on accel? Will it beat any ****** rockets?? Is it good for two-up riding? What really worries me is the fact everyone is running to put aftermarket pipes and intakes on their bikes...which leads me to think they arn't happy with the stock performance?

Last edited:
Still smiling

I took my test ride in February of '05, granted I hadn't ridden in a VERY long time but just pulling out of the dealership lot, I started to smile and after about 2 miles I was sure my face was going to split at the ears. I was beaming for a week. When it started to wear off I went and bought myself one. I often ride two up and there is no difference in the pull. My wife and I are both full sized people (actually I'm plain fat) but when we ride together and I'm passing some cager on the highway, it's crack the throttle and goodbye, even at 70 or 80 (or 90). It handles like a bike half it's size in turns, and up until last week when my son trashed it I never left the garage without a smile. It is a hell of a ride. As far as modifications, some people are never satisfied. You get fast and go fast; fast on this bike. The factory has it detuned in first second and third so numbskulls won't die right away and that alone is a call to arms for some of the hardcore types. Even the relatively laid back types are left to wonder what it would be like if they unchained this beast. Hence, the rush to modify. If you like to go fast this is the right bike for you.
Ben

Jimbeamrye said:
I don't think the local cycle shops around here let you take "test" rides. So with that said, will this machine pull a wheel? Does it feel like a ******-rocket on accel? Will it beat any ****** rockets?? Is it good for two-up riding? What really worries me is the fact everyone is running to put aftermarket pipes and intakes on their bikes...which leads me to think they arn't happy with the stock performance?

Yes it pulls a wheelie. It can hold it's own against a Suzuki gsx 1000. Not good for two up riding without upgrading the seat some say. What biker doesn't want to improve his performance?

Here's why I bought a Rocket. Unique, fastest production cruiser/tourer, low production numbers, and great lines.
You probably should steer clear of this bike as it would require lots of upgrades to suit your nature. Not many bells and whistles on this ride, just raw power wrapped around a superior engineered frame and motor. The bike you want can't be bought off the showroom floor, or so it seems to me.

Find a dealer who'll let you test drive one. You will know right away if a Rocket is right for you. Guys, am i right on this point?!?!?

Last edited:
Test ride...

Hondax:

I don't know where this guy lives but the dealers around here have R3's just for test rides. The dealer in Kazoo has a Tribal and the dealer in Toledo has an R3C wit beetle bags.

All you guys fiddle with yours, but mine has enough power as it is and the touring seat on the R3C is very comfortable...I rode 350 miles stopping just for gas and no monkey butt. Could have rode another 350. Wheelie, I don't want no wheelie especially with the missus on the back. She might fall off in the road. Then I'd get my butt kicked.:eek:

I know it has enough power. That V Rod I spanked on the interstate knows it too,:flame:

And yes. He needs to take a jaunt on a demo bike.

Hey Jimbeamrye.I live on the west side of Pensacola and went to the Dealer saturday.They have a red RIII demo waiting on your buttox.It has boards,rocker shifter and a lot of options and I think it will answer your questions.Like Sidecar said,yes it will do a wheel lift but I scare myself sometimes just cracking it up a little and it jumping away.You sound anxious as if it isnt like you hear.PM me and I will come on by and give you a ride.Trust me I will be safe.My 1st rider on the beast,cant wait.:D

Rockets are heavy, they are not sport bikes. They are the hardest accelerating and best handling crusier out there. They have unbelieveable acceleration from a stop and high speed roll ons are almost without peer. It is hard to just "pull" a wheelie with one... it can be done but the wheel base is very long and you have a lot of weight. I find that if the rear tire is inflated properly you tend to break the rear wheel loose before you pull wheelies. I have much better luck getting the front end up shifting from first to second as the bike is already rolling and you keep traction.

It sounds like you want a sport bike. Rockets are about 200 mile jaunts in just a few hours, having unbelieveable power to pass trucks in just seconds, running down most any bike out there with little or no effort. If you want to pull and hold wheelies for a quarter mile and do other showdog tricks you might be happier with something like a Speed Triple. The Rocket is more like a locomotive on steroids.

I don't think you will be happy with a Rocket....

R3 Power

The R3 has a lot of power. If you want throttle wheelies, you probably ought to consider another bike. The FJR 1300 might provide what you want. I would also consider not riding two-up if you want the kind of throttle experience you describe, both for the capability in the motorcycle and safety for the passenger. The R3 is powerful, but it is not going to threaten you with a wheelie every time you open the throttle wide open. You could probably get what you want by selecting a motorcycle and modifying it to meet your needs. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle that gives you the throttle response you want? The easy way to get what you are talking about is to buy that motorcycle, and keep in mind you might have a different experience when you have a passenger.

happy with my rocket ? oh i don't even think that begins to describe it. addicted...getting closer. do i have to do all the mods i'm doing.? .nope...stock it's one of the baddest boys around...but hey i love to mod things.
the other five major guys have a "herd" bike that will probably suit you better, but if you want to have something truely different this is it.

Back