Considering R3...Whats accel like?

Thanks everyone for the help. I only asked about the wheelie thing cause that tells me if the bike is really powerful....I would never try something like that with wife onboard! In fact I would never want to wheelie a 15,000 dollar bike....not on purpose anyway.

Baggage1, I am sure glad you live in the area so you know about the local dealer and their test bike...thanks. The wife and I was riding down Fairfield Dr last Friday afternoon and a bunch of R3 Triumphs and a 1000cc Ducati were all leaving D&D cycles. The guy on the Ducati did a big wheelie once we got onto W street. I wonder If you was part of that group?

Again thanks everyone for info.

Last edited:
wheelie

Jimbeamrye said:
Thanks everyone for the help. I only asked about the wheelie thing cause that tells me if the bike is really powerful....I would never try something like that with wife onboard! In fact I would never want to wheelie a 15,000 dollar bike....not on purpose anyway.

Baggage1, I am sure glad you live in the area so you know about the local dealer and their test bike...thanks. The wife and I was riding down Fairfield Dr last Friday afternoon and a bunch of R3 Triumphs and a 1000cc Ducati were all leaving D&D cycles. The guy on the Ducati did a big wheelie once we got onto W street. I wonder If you was part of that group?

Again thanks everyone for info, John

You can wheelie the Rocket. There are plenty of videos and stills of it. It weighs 800 lbs and has 150 ft lbs of torque. You're not going to get that on a 450 lb bike that can throttle wheelie above the Rocket's red line.

That was our RAT dinner ride up to Century.Dink rode the Ducati,the owner of D&D.Nice bunch of guys.Get a Rocket and ride with us,the more the merrier.They'll be going to the bike show out in LA later this month to check out Triumph's new offerings.

Was riding around the other day on some descent backroads (183 / 138 area for you Texas folks) and pulled around a corner in 2nd doing about 25. I hammered it and was to 85 before I could catch my breath. I'm running TORs and cat/bypass and am happy with the acceleration.
The only cruiser besides some expensive customs that can come close from what I understand is the Boss Hoss. That being said, the Boss Hoss doesn't handle as well as the R3. And the Boss Hoss cost nearly twice as much for the small block. Let me invest another $16 grand in my bike and see how fast it goes. LoL
I did a lot of shopping and couldn't find a cruiser that was better than the Rocket. Heard the Suzuki M109 can accelerate fairly well although I don't know about its handling. I do know that the Rocket is a better-looking bike.
Happy hunting...

I got the chance to take the demo ride on the R3.

:cool: WoW!!:cool:

You guys are soooo lucky. I hope to be lucky soon. I can't wait to see whats coming for the 07 line-up? Any ideas on R3 changes coming?

Easy Wheelies

From reading some of the posts I'm wondering if my R-3 is a Fluke. All I have to do is crack the throttle in first gear at 2 grand and that front end comes up faster than a biker ***** shirt at a HOG rally.
The only mods I've made are a power comander (haven't even played with the tune yet), cat bypass and drilled out the stock baffles to get just the right sound.
Just under hard accel in second I've had the handlebars float, especially with the wife on the back. :D

I wouldn't say the Rocket is sluggish at any RPM. I hot rod everything I have and I love it. As for why people are modifying the exhaust. We have an incredible bike and when we hear it could be faster. We just gotta see what that is like. Why do theme parks keep building bigger rides. Not cause the old ride sucks but because they can. Riding two-up? I don't notice she's on the back except cornering in parking lots. But that's true for any bike.
It is not a wheelie machine. The power it makes, it uses going forward, not going vertical. Like with racing, you are wasting time if you are going anyway besides forward. Going sideways, jumping, and wheelies slow you down.

Hi John, I bought my rocket about 3 weeks ago, I have a vtx1300 r also, put 22,000 miles on it in 18 months, nice bike but clumsy at high speed. I was going to buy a vxt 1800 n, but looked at Harley Street Glide, Kaw. Concours 1400, and the Rocket, I wasn't out of low gear and I decided I was taking the Rocket home with me. I bought an 07 touring for 400.00 more than what they wanted for a plain vtx 1800 n , NO COMPARISON!!!!! I don't know what you're looking for in a bike but one up or two up, I have no complaints. As far as performance, 70, 80, or 90, mph, twist the throttle and you'll be running away from the rest of the cruisers, unless it's a Rocket. Wheelies????? Yes they can do wheelies. I can do an awesome rolling 1st gear wheelie with ease, and feel the wheel getting light in 2nd. I bought this bike because I like to ride and it had everything on it , bags, windshield,etc. and of course it has GOBS of brute power. You need to test drive one and try to keep from grinning

Back