CONNECTION ISSUE

New TPS installed. No codes read. Calibrated .60V and stepper to .72. Reset adaptations, started well. Warmed up, adjusted throttle bodies but... when the bike heats up, you twist the throttle and it goes to 2000 rpm on its own. After a while starts to sputter also. WTF :banghead: :mad:

Last edited:
Have you checked out the engine temp sensor, as you bike might be getting a cold motor signal which would be fine while motor is cold but once warmed up if faulty might be telling ECU that motor is still cold which would cause the ECU to enrich the fuel and raise the idle speed which also could cause the spluttering due to much fuel
I would be checking the connection to temp sensor before getting it check out by dealer, with its age the sensor could have gone bad

if it is running to rich it will be very erratic as it is trying to dispose bof the excessive fuel being delivered ie it is trying to flood the motor. these are just my musings, in theory remember when you had a manual choke on a bike and you took of but forgot to reset choke and up the road aways the bike started playing up, well the temp sensor is telling the ECU to deliver fuel for a cold motor so same result as leaving choke on

To follow up... With tank raised and bike idling, wiggled all visible connectors and noticed a possible intermittent contact. Opened several connectors and lubed them. Finally got to the PAM sensor connector. The one that had rubber tubes connected on it's back. This bugger controls/monitors small throttle positions and assists the engine deal with these situations.

Once done with the greasing, connected to Tune ECU, ran the TPS, stepper, adaptations routine. Went for a ride and the bike was almost cured. Let it cool and ran a 12 minute tune and tucked to sleep in the garage.

Today the bike was perfect. My take is that the problem might have been a bad TPS compounded by the torrential rains I passed through on the way to RAA.

It had been mentioned in this thread that some connectors when becoming wet do not dry completely and if they do they're prone to failure. Another member suggested greasing all accessible connections with dielectric grease once a year. Both of these gentlemen are correct.

To all who helped, thank you very much :thumbsup:

This is one of the things I like about this forum...a complete story normally ending in a successful outcome! With the assistance from all the far more knowledgeable than I persons on here, problems solved and bike running sweetly once again.

Yesterday after a 6 hour day ride gave the bike a good run. As I approached home the throttle stuck in 2000. Turn the bike off and on, fixed? idles but as soon as I rev it up it goes back to 2000. :( I was almost sure I had cured the problem. Will re-check all connections and go through Tune routine and see.

Revisited some connectors and took her out for a quickie. 4000 hold ok, 5000 ok, 55k ok, blast to 65+ ok. Did this a few times, she took it, and came home with few a complaints. Them Brit birds.

There's a funky connection in the MAP sensor, or a leaky tube. At one time I messed with the secondary settings and it might be off. Tune ECU does not have a window for that setting. I'm going to ask my mechanic to set it by the book and reset everything again by Hans tune.

I'm sorry to be "vexatious" but i'm sure I'm not the only captain with throttle problems. Chit, they sell boy pampers for my other problems :laugh:

BTW, the Raptor @ 40 psi rocks.

Back