BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
Is it ok to wire the clutch switch open? It would make my wire routing easier if I eliminated it plus it would be one less thing that could go wrong.

It is there as a safety device to prevent you trying to start it while in gear and ending up on your arse, so it depends on whether you are careful to make sure you are in neutral when starting

I would be wondering if the signal from the clutch switch performs anything else bedides the saftey aspect. Especially with the newer ecu's. Not that it wouldn't run but it would suck if it stayed on the neutral map.

Last edited:
I would be wondering if the dignal from the clutvh switch performs anything else bedides the saftey aspect. Especially with the newer ecu's. Not that it wouldn't run but it would suck if it stayed on the neutral map.
Isn't there a sensor which tells it what gear it is in?

I would be wondering if the dignal from the clutvh switch performs anything else bedides the saftey aspect. Especially with the newer ecu's. Not that it wouldn't run but it would suck if it stayed on the neutral map.

interesting
the ecu would always think that the clutch was disengaged.
my guess would be that if it didn't set a code it might be ok.

If you delete this switch you may not be able to install the @DEcosse keyless ignition system as it uses the clutch switch to turn things on - just so you know
Yeah, @HansO and I - well just HansO really ;) had to refit the clutch switch you gave me @Mittzy.

The previous owner of my Roadster had cut the wires at the switch, removed a length and soldered the wires together in the loom as if the switch was always engaged. HansO managed to wire up the pre-used 2nd or 3rd version @DEcosse keyless ignition I acquired from the UK with some difficulties had with the replacement clutch switch. Probably due to my exessive use of a contact cleaner with lubricant followed by syringes of metho, and eventually we left the clutch switch wired in but not mounted in the lever housing as it appeared erratic in remaining or fully disarming when ignition comes on. Hans may remember.

So currently it arms and disarms on departure/approach with the fob and you simply use the kill switch and starter button - done 3500Km that way now so no rush to reinstall the clutch switch.

HansO had been meaning to discuss with DEcosse before the 'off'.

Back