Factory override for Clutch switch?

Big boy

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
I have been having intermittent starting problems with my big girl and have got this down to the clutch switch. New one now on order.

In the mean time I have been at times frustrated and tried twisting pushing and poking to get the ***** to engage, during all this i have come upon and issue that I need some help resolving.

If I have the bike in neutral, the side sand down and the clutch

then I turn the ignition off until I hear the fuel pump stop running
then turn off
then immediately depress the starter button (with my thumb not the story of my life) and turn the key on it will turn over and start

This means in some way the clutch switch has been bypassed, is this a factory programming cheat or just coincidence.

If anyone wants to test this on their bike and feedback the outcome I would appreciate.

But please make sure it is in neutral, I have not tried in in gear and if it fires in gear with the stand down things will get messy quickly.

If this is a general characteristic then it could be a great limp home fix

just to be clear r u saying
do like u said but do not hold clutch in to see if ecu will override the clutch switch?
because if u have the clutch in that would be normal and i am certain it will start with my r3.

Ok so you turn the bike off and you have to wait for the fuel pump to stop running? That there alone would bother me as its not like the 3 rockets I've owned !!!!

Do you mean: In neutral, ignition on, kill switch in run position, clutch lever in(disengaged), stand down, gauges sweep, fuel pump pressurizes......then switch ignition off......clutch lever out(engaged), still in neutral......then ignition back on and then punch starter button.....and it starts?

If so, I will try it for you.....after I've had a whiskey or two. :thumbsup:

No, wait.....you are saying press starter button first.....then turn ignition back on.....with the clutch lever out....engaged but in neutral? I may need a third whiskey to get it right.

Last edited:
Do you mean: In neutral, ignition on, kill switch in run position, clutch lever in(disengaged), stand down, gauges sweep, fuel pump pressurizes......then switch ignition off......clutch lever out(engaged), still in neutral......then ignition back on and then punch starter button.....and it starts?

If so, I will try it for you.....after I've had a whiskey or two. :thumbsup:

No, wait.....you are saying press starter button first.....then turn ignition back on.....with the clutch lever out....engaged but in neutral? I may need a third whiskey to get it right.
Or as I would say:
Take a deep breath and ...

upload_2019-4-4_13-13-19.png

;):D:cool:

Yes in layman's terms replace the switch. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: A little confusion but understood what and where you where going with it,

Yes in layman's terms replace the switch. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: A little confusion but understood what and where you where going with it,

well could u kindly explain it to us:laugh::laugh:
ps noway mine will start without pulling the clutch lever.

Back